Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 58 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast
    I opened an old bottle of Bakers (from its first bottling) that I found covered with dust in a local store a couple of weeks back. Unfortunately, it must have been exposed to too much light over the years, because it tastes off. The stuff smells delicious, though. I'm bummed.

But it's nothing that a good pour of Old Foresters won't cure. I've been digging OF lately - it's about as balanced and "true" a flavor profile for bourbon as I can think of.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Well, I'm back home in Louisville, and though I brought all my dusties and such, I arrived here with no open bottles(I left none behind when I left for school, and didn't see the point in bringing any here for a mere week) so this eveing it was off to Bourbon's Bistro and a couple pours: FRSB and VROHH. Also had a taste of a friends Weller Centenial (the newer BT version that I have recently noted I've never had) While a decent pour the Weller seemed to be lacking a bit in the nose department (something my friend also commented on when she tried my FRSB). Seems we both wanted the FRSB nose and initial palate with the Weller mid-palate and finish.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru
    This weekend it's Old Weller Antique.... a fine sipping whiskey to accompany the Blue Grass Stakes on TV followed by a little grilling on the deck.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Enthusiast
    After one hell of a cross country run and a shower, I am kicking back with a Baker's.

I may just nip downtown for a beer or two later.

I have Bulleit and Knob creek open and to hand lest any visitors chance by later - the Baker's is mine - ALL MINE!
    Philip

I guess good whiskey really does tickle my pickle!

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambernecter
    After one hell of a cross country run and a shower, I am kicking back with a Baker's.

I may just nip downtown for a beer or two later.

I have Bulleit and Knob creek open and to hand lest any visitors chance by later - the Baker's is mine - ALL MINE!
    CROSS COUNTRY?!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by jeff
    As you're sitting in front of your computer reading this forum, what's in your glass?
    To answer your question I just finished Knob Creek after a George Dickel #8.

Am contemplating an Old Forester or Old Overholt next to end the evening.

Enthusiast
    I meant running in the countryside, not actually running across the whole country!

That said it'd be a breeze to go from one side of England to the other, compared to your side of the pond...
    Philip

I guess good whiskey really does tickle my pickle!

Enthusiast

Blanton's first time

Well, I'm not actually drinking it as I sit at my computer, but we had a wonderful Easter dinner this afternoon with dear friends, and the restaurant had a nice bourbon list. So, after a preprandial martini, a glass of California Pinot Noir, and a wonderful rack of lamb dinner, I decided to have my first try at Blanton's.

Now, of course, I was well sated after that three hour meal, so the edge was off my taste buds, but it was certainly a wonderful bourbon. I was most pleased when it arrived at the table in the glass I use at home - Riedel "O" spirits glass.

It had a very enticing nose but was rather hot on the palate until I cut it with a couple of spoonfuls of water. Then it really bloomed and softened.

I won't attempt tasting notes, but my overall impression was that this is a kind of über-Buffalo Trace mash-bill #2 bourbon. It had the house character (a touch of earthiness) but it was very refined and complex version, with orange, rye, dry oak and a light, dry chocolate (cocoa?). A wonderful finish to a wonderful meal (much better than the desserts the others were having, IMO.)

At $12 for a modest serving, I won't be having more there soon, but then again, it was a bargain since a bottle here is ~$55.

Jeff
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Last evening after attending a Bats game, Mary and I wondered down to Jockey Silks. We split several pours, Noah's Mill, OC 12, FRSB, and Pappy 23. The Bats won both games (though we skipped out midway through the first of them) and the whiskies were great. It was a perfect night back home in Louisville.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

Last evening, just before bed, I opened the bottle of J. W. Dant BIB I bought on closeout a few weeks ago for $12.99.

It had a very good bourbon flavor except for a quite bitter note in the finish. It had good legs in the glass, which surprised me a bit after seeing the fairly pale yellow color in the glass. It has a much prettier color in the full bottle. Good nose, good mouthfeel, and a fairly tame alcohol burn for a whiskey that is probably as young as it can be (doesn't BIB have to be four years old?).

All in all, a very decent pour for the money spent. I would rate it a little higher than Evan Williams Black and a little lower than Old Forester 100-proof after this first sampling. The only real negative was the bitter finish. Too bad they are closing it out and I won't be able to purchase it anymore, at least when at home.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur