Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    I'm having a non-bourbon night tonight, after working the noon-9 shift at the liquor store. I brought home a couple of bottles of a red wine I've been eying for a couple of weeks -- 2001 Trinity Oaks Zinfandel. It's an inexpensive, light-ish Zin, but I generally prefer red to have a few years of bottle-aging, and 2001 was one of the better recent years for the varietal in California. It was a case of lousy stock rotation by the distributor -- we've sold the 2004 Trinity Oaks more recently -- so this has tempted me since the moment I saw it.
    Anyway, am pleasantly surprised. While lighter-bodied than I expect Zinfandel to be, this has very bright and lively fruit -- dark cherries, red raspberries -- and still it contains purple tints in the glass. Yet, a solid backbone of tannins lies underneath. The color leads me to believe there's no hurry to open it (though certainly it's not exactly age-worthy, either), so I may just grab the remaining 4-5 bottles on the shelf. Having paid just $5.94 each for two bottles, I feel well-rewarded.
    As a sometime angina sufferer, I too often forget to remember that red wine is a more proactive and enjoyable cause of a headache than nitroglycerine tablets. I need to remember to give over a few nights more often to the grape spirits.
    Tim

Taster
    OGD 114 by my side tonight. This one really kind of "snuck up on me" and took me by surprise. I've been nursing a bottle of it for a couple of months now and I've come to realize, just tonight, that this really is a great bourbon.

Definitely deserves a spot on the shelf from now on...

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon
    I'm having a non-bourbon night tonight, after working the noon-9 shift at the liquor store. I brought home a couple of bottles of a red wine I've been eying for a couple of weeks -- 2001 Trinity Oaks Zinfandel. Having paid just $5.94 each for two bottles, I feel well-rewarded.
    Tim,
    Zinfandels are also one of my passions. I especially look for ones under 10 bucks. Good Zins under 10 bucks are very few and far between in my part of the world. Glad you enjoyed the Trinity Oaks.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Connoisseur
    Joe_Blowe, I really enjoy OGD 114. I know everyone tastes are different...it hits me almost like Bookers, but its 1/2 the price! They are out of OGD 114 in WA. in as far as I can tell, so I have my name on a list to be called when it comes in about 4 weeks from now.
    I am enjoying the Bookers so much right now, I keep returning to it, but for me its a little pricey as an everyday pour...just...cant...stop...myself...
    Todd

Enthusiast
    Jack Daniels...not a bourbon, though...but a close relative

I'm toasting complete and total demise of my bracket with a little Pappy 15.

Advanced Taster

Wink

This evening....
    one oz. pour of Old Weller Antique, then onto a short pour of Weller Larue, then a Bookers and topping it all off with 2 fingers of George T Stagg (fall '05)
    "A glass a day keeps the doctor away"
    Sincerely,
    George

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Tonight I had a number of whiskeys and other spirits but only about 1/4 ounce each, so as not to overdo it. I find even such a small amount (of each) satisfying. First, ND Old Grandad - 80 proof again but still rich and full. Second, Rare Breed - very nice but the steely ethanol overlay is quite evident. 80 is too low and 108 too high. Then, equally small amounts of a couple of my rum blends (rum in the sense of the distilled drink). Finally, one of my own blends such as I will bring for the Manhattans - this was really good, like a blended whiskey that tastes mostly of bourbon. With dinner, a Pilsener Urquel. This adds up to about 2 drinks, well maybe a bit more but it is the weekend.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 03-26-2006 at 17:05.

Novice

What am I drinking

Currently my daily drink is Knob Creek. I have Blantons which I love, however, my current bottle tastes a bit musty, is this a normal issue with Blantons. Am interested in discovering the more unique and boutique crafted bourbons.

Tom

Guru
    Last night, a pour or two of Rittenhouse BIB Rye. This is some fine whiskey. One of Heaven Hills jewels.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"