I have a "silly" question. I have some Old Taylor from National Distillers that I found in a Manhattan small store on the Upper West side some time ago. It is very good with that butterscotch-like note that Roger Hodges has mentioned, and also appley-like notes such as Mike Veach has mentioned to me.

The only thing about it that I don't like is it is 80 proof. I would like it to be 86, 90 or even 100 proof as indeed some packaged Taylor from the era was.

How can I increase the proof short of adding genuine (say Bonded) Taylor from the era, which I don't have?

I thought of trying to freeze some but the weather is not cold enough and my freezer won't freeze 80 proof liquor. Plus, I am concerned that some good volatiles may escape in the process, or other damage to the whiskey occur.

There has to be some way to do this in home conditions. I read that color can be filtered out of some aged drinks (this is done for rum - how they do that though I can't imagine but that interests me too, it may be a way to de-age a bourbon or rye). So surely by some vacuum or other method I can get out "excess" water in a solution of ethanol and water.

Any ideas?

Gary