Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Apprentice
    Sorry, let me clarify, I wasn't refering to a bottling or product that wasn't charcoal filtered but I've always been taught that, back in the early days, Jack Daniels left Tennessee for a while and also before they registered the term 'tennessee whiskey', pioneered by George Dickel it was classed as bourbon.
    My wanting to see an un-charcoal-filtered Jack Daniels, pioneering the original flavour imparted by the rest of the production would, I think be marketable as a bourbon.
    I think i crossed the streams there in the context of my statement,

Apologies,

Paul

Apprentice
    [quote=chasking]

It's an open question whether the Lincoln County process makes JD or GD "not bourbon". JD and GD are made from bourbon mashbills under conditions that would otherwise qualify them as bourbons; the only way that the Lincoln County process would disqualify them from being bourbons is if it counts as adding artificial flavor.

I've been taught by bourbon representatives that the reason tennessee whiskey isn't a bourbon is because they take away from the original flavour. I would agree in that I can't taste any charcoal in it and charcoal is renowned for removing harsh congeners and unwanted alcohols on a chemical level.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbrad25
    I've been taught by bourbon representatives that the reason tennessee whiskey isn't a bourbon is because they take away from the original flavour. I would agree in that I can't taste any charcoal in it and charcoal is renowned for removing harsh congeners and unwanted alcohols on a chemical level.
    Certainly, that is what the maple-charcoal mellowing does. It's also what chill-filtering and the charcoal filtering of, say, Jim Beam Choice or the current Old Fitz 1849 do. So, if JD isn't bourbon solely on that basis, neither are the latter two.
    Here's a previous discussion on this topic:
    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...+not+a+bourbon
    Tim

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon
    Certainly, that is what the maple-charcoal mellowing does. It's also what chill-filtering and the charcoal filtering of, say, Jim Beam Choice or the current Old Fitz 1849 do. So, if JD isn't bourbon solely on that basis, neither are the latter two.
    Here's a previous discussion on this topic:
    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...+not+a+bourbon
    Wow quite a contentious thread, thanks for the link, I'll remember to avoid the subject in future.

Enthusiast
    Somewhere out there may be a bourbon representative who tells only the whole and unvarnished truth, but such people are few and far between and I have never met one. As a general rule, don't believe anything anybody from the marketing side of the enterprise says. I'm not saying that they set out on purpose to obfuscate or deceive, but they tend to simplify complex subjects to the point of inaccuracy and/or pass on legend as fact.

I for my part would buy tickets to watch a panel of marketing guys try to explain why Jack Daniel's is not bourbon.

Apprentice
    Don't get me wrong, i've sat in JD tastings and in Bourbon tastings and its not lost on me why Bourbon reps always have a bottle of JD for comparitive tastings.
    I think I'll settle for the fact that personally I prefer a fuller flavoured whisky with a bit of a longer finish and get on with drinking some, in fact I can feel the urge for a Wild Turkey Rye Manhattan coming on, anyone join me??

Guru
    Don't get me wrong, i've sat in JD tastings and in Bourbon tastings and its not lost on me why Bourbon reps always have a bottle of JD for comparitive tastings.
    I think I'll settle for the fact that personally I prefer a fuller flavoured whisky with a bit of a longer finish and get on with drinking some, in fact I can feel the urge for a Wild Turkey Rye Manhattan coming on, anyone join me??
    I would, if I had any Wild Turkey Rye.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur