Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Novice
    Funny that I'm just seeing this thread, because I was browsing the duty free in DFW on Thursday afternoon, and I saw this very label. Silver Select was the only thing in the bourbon family (cousin?) on the shelf that I hadn't seen before. Everything else was real common. Should have bought it!

Pete

Advanced Taster
    Greetings Gentleman...

If anyone would like some assistance with getting the JD Silver Select I would be quite happy to help

All you have to do is ask...

I had this one sent to the distillery(sorry this one is gone now)...I have a Monogram also signed

I have yet to sample either, however now I am rather keen to sample the Silver Select as I do enjoy the Single Barrel!
    Attached Images Attached Images

TK.(Troy)

Disciple

Re: Jack Daniels Silver Select

I have been re tasting a lot of brands from this summer and still. Some have tasted less good, some about equal and some better. Silver select that I haven’t tasted since 2002 is maybe the one that tasted the best of all compared to my memory. Enormous difference from the normal JD. Very, very intense with a never-ending finish and a bit dryer than the old 7. Al row it has fruit and vanilla in the taste it defiantly is the “Tennessee taste” that dominate. It does remind me a bit of smoky Islay single malt whisky in the sense that you have to like peat-smoke or Tennessee to like any of them. I would say that this is the best Tennessee I have tasted and it stand up to almost every bourbon or rye I have ever tasted.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I believe Silver Select and Single Barrel are the same whiskey, just different packaging, and I agree. I like it as well as anything else in that price point and would gladly drink it anytime, anywhere.

The Silver Select is bottled at 100 proof, opposed to the normal SB US 94 proof, or the 90 proof 700mL we get down here in Oz.

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Connoisseur

I´ve also read somewhere that it is supposed to be the same as the standard SB, only with higher proof, but I simply refuse to believe it.

Just as the others here who´ve tried it, I find it to be the least demonstrably JD that I´ve tried. Not necessarily better than the standard SB, just different.
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedmans Brorsa View Post
    I´ve also read somewhere that it is supposed to be the same as the standard SB, only with higher proof, but I simply refuse to believe it...
    Jack Daniel's only makes one whiskey. The only way they CAN vary it is using age/barrel selection and different proof. The folks on-site say the only barrel selection they do is of the 'next-one-in-line' variety, once they're selected for bottling -- unless the barrel is one personally selected by a retailer/distributor.
    Tim

I was told by Mr. Bedford himself that all of the commemorative bottlings are the same as black label, except for proof differences, and Silver Select is the same as Single Barrel, except for proof differences. I'm not exactly sure when the barrels for Single Barrel get designated as such, but they finish aging in a special warehouse and, of course, have their own bottling line. That's what is in the warehouses that are right there on the main "campus." The regular stuff is aged and bottled down the road at a much less picturesque location.

Connoisseur

OK, point taken.

But, as others have already confirmed, the difference is striking. Surely the barrels should be different from the standard SB, at least?

I find it hard to believe that difference of proof can account for so much variety. At the end of last year, I got myself a French 100 proof version of the Four Roses SB, and, yes, it was different to the 86 proof version. But not strikingly so.
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Well, single barrel is single barrel. There will be variation, even at the same proof.

Also, whiskey "profiling" is not an exact science, least of all with single barrel products. Tasters taste samples against a reference sample and rate them. The ratings usually are on a multiple point scale but the dividing line is, essentially, "close enough" and "not close enough."