Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Jack Daniels

Hybrid View

Novice

Jack Daniels

I recently went to four European countries and on three different airlines I asked for Bourbon and they only had Jack Daniels. How do they get away with calling it Bourbon?

Woodford Reserve, Knobs Creek and Bookers are rarely available.

Quote Originally Posted by condor48
    ...they only had Jack Daniels. How do they get away with calling it Bourbon?
    Ignorance -- both theirs and the general public's. They wouldn't get away with calling it 'bourbon' here.

And, welcome to the board.
    Tim

Connoisseur
    I was once at a wedding and ordered a bourbon Manhattan. Young kid know it all bartender made it with Jack Daniel's. Now I like Jack Daniel's but I DO NOT want it in my Manhattan. It was absolutely awful. JD does not mix well with sweet vermouth in my opinion. When I pointed out to the kid his error, he ran over to the bottle of JD and started reading it to prove me wrong. He could not believe it wasn't bourbon, and he said he always thought it was.

Connoisseur

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by brian12069
    I was once at a wedding and ordered a bourbon Manhattan. Young kid know it all bartender made it with Jack Daniel's. Now I like Jack Daniel's but I DO NOT want it in my Manhattan. It was absolutely awful. JD does not mix well with sweet vermouth in my opinion. When I pointed out to the kid his error, he ran over to the bottle of JD and started reading it to prove me wrong. He could not believe it wasn't bourbon, and he said he always thought it was.
    A common error.....believe it or not even down here in Tennessee I find folks all the time who equate bourbon with J.D. I was once part of the ignorant masses as well until I tried some Old Charter, WT and MM. After my exposure, there was no turning back!

Connoisseur
    British rock magazine Sounds had an American writer in the late 70īs/early 80īs who acted as their resident expert on all things Bourbon.

I remember distinctly that he referred to Crown Royal as a Canadian Bourbon.
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedmans Brorsa
    British rock magazine Sounds had an American writer in the late 70īs/early 80īs who acted as their resident expert on all things Bourbon.

I remember distinctly that he referred to Crown Royal as a Canadian Bourbon.
    oh, that is just wrong...

Guru

Clearly Stated

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon
    Ignorance -- both theirs and the general public's. They wouldn't get away with calling it 'bourbon' here.

And, welcome to the board.
    Well said and that's not the first time that one of your posts "cut right to it".

Dad even wrote a letter to an airline and was quite unimpressed that they had no response.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Apprentice

Fly Delta

You should fly Delta. They stock Woodford Reserve as their bourbon. They used to have Makers Mark, but I think they discontinued it about the time Markers Mark decided they were a premium brand.

They also stock Jack Daniels and Dewars. For non-whiskey, I think it is Tanquerey gin, Absolut vodka(?), Bacardi rum, Disaronna Amaretto, Baileys Irish Cream. There is a Canadian whiskey also, I think. Not sure which one.

I will have to pay more attention next week to see what the selection is. This above is for domestic. The international selection is different (more choices).

I will also be flying Singapore Airlines next week, I will try to remember to write down their drink list. I know when I flew in business class on Sing Air a few years back I ended up with some vintage port. This trip is in coach so hard telling what swill I will be forced to drink.