Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Four Roses Single Barrel or WT RB

What is to recommend for a beginner in the world of bourbon,
    Four Roses Single Barrel or Wild Turkey Rare Breed ?

Assuming you have access to Four Roses Single Barrel -- it's only available in Kentucky -- I'd think that would be more approachable (not to mention its lower proof) than Rare Breed.
    Tim

Novice
    Tank’s for your suggestion. Four Roses Single Barrel is possible to order in the state run liquor store “Systembolaget” 44$ a bottle (0,7l).

Apprentice
    Hi Kress, nice to see another Swede on the forum.
    The Four Roses Single Barrel available at Systembolaget is the european version, not the one recently launched in Kentucky. The european FRSB is 86 proof (43%) as opposed to 100 proof (50%)for the new one. The european FRSB is very mild and gentle for a bourbon, I actually find it rather boring, If I need gentle I pour a glass of Irish. WT Rare Breed is a totally different animal, big, bold and spicy. Personally I would pick Rare Breed over FRSB nine times out of ten. If it's a bit overpowering you can always throw in a cube of ice or water it down a bit.
    There is actually a third option I strongly recommend. The "Buffalo Trace"-bourbon is vanishing fast from the standard assortment. It's gone in Stockholm, but you can order it from other stores where they still have it.

http://www.systembolaget.se/SokDryck...arugrupp=Sprit
    It's about ten years old and actually cheaper than both WTRB and FRSB. Considering price and quality, I would go for that one.

Better still, go to the Saddle & Sabre in Stockholm (http://www.saddleandsabre.com/) and taste them side by side, then you would know for sure.

Cheers
    Mats

Enthusiast
    I agree with what you said Mats - the 4 Roses can be a tad bland compared to something like RB.

However I feel Tim is on the money with his observation.

Anything of quality below 90 proof is a great newbie friendly intro. RB at around 108 proof could well be too hot to handle. I remember on frequent occasions friends (newbies to Bourbon) unable to finish a slug of WT 101 let alone anything stronger.

Your suggestion of BT is spot on as well Mats. Real good value, great flavour at a perfect 90 proof - great intro Bourbon IMO.

Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by PFC
    Better still, go to the Saddle & Sabre in Stockholm (http://www.saddleandsabre.com/) and taste them side by side, then you would know for sure.

Cheers
    Mats
    Tank’s! I’ll visit that establishment as soon as possible. Beside Buffalo Trace, is there something else, from systembolaget, which you can recommend? I’ve already tried Evan Williams Single Barrel 1995 and was very pleased.

Kress

Apprentice
    Well, even though the the special order assortment "beställningssortimentet" contains some very fine bourbons (like Blantins Gold, Hirsch 16, Pappy van Winkle 15, Elmer T Lee), it's difficult to recommend any of them due to the ridiculous pricing. Elmer T Lee is listed at about 80 US$, Hirsch at 140$. Unless money is not an issue for you, it's simply not worth it. The only one I can recommend even though it's not a favourite of mine is Elijah Craig 12. It costs the same as the FRSB and is liked by many. Great value anyhow.

/Mats

Connoisseur
    Well, whaddayaknow! Yet another Swede on this board.Welcome Kress! (Barring Americans, I think there are now more Swedes here than all the other nationalities put together!).

I have no idea what you already have tried but among those not so pricey from the "Beställningssortiment" I definitely think you should try Knob Creek and Wild Turkey 8yo (Rare Breed is better, though).

I prefer RB to Knob Creek, too, but maybe the latter would be a more logical follow-up to EWSB? KC is not so heavy as it used to be, perhaps filling in the middle slot between lighter Bourbons like F. Roses and EWSB and heavyweight champs like RB and the Van Winkles.

It has to be said, though, that the European version of the F. Roses SB has a lovely nose! Must be experienced!
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by PFC

Cheers
    Mats
    Mats,

You are lucky to have near (I got 230 km from Borlänge) to Sadle&sabre and all the other fantastic bars and restaurants in Stockholm. I must say I have never seen such drink culture anywhere else of the places/city’s in the world that I have visited. I got several of favourites places there and S&S is one of them. Very big assortment of bourbon and American micro brewery beer and a charismatic owner. If I should complain about anything I must say that the prices are a bit high. By the way. One of my other favourite places is on the other side of the street a little closer to Sveavägen. Broncos bar which have very good food and you won’t go hungry from there!

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Disciple
    Kress,

Must say I am also pleased to see one more Swede on this forum.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey