Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by BourbonSteve
    What a pour! Like my English friend says above, this one is a winner, quite possible the best bourbon I've yet tasted. The nose was elegant, warm, floral; the taste was easy no burn some oak, leather, mint, vanilla; the finish easy but long. My first bottle and certainly not my last. I sampled some EWSB '96 with it and there was NO comparison!
    Certainly thought that this BOTM would get so much more comment. Like it or not, RHF deserves much more debate and discussion. Being a Single Barrel, surely some variation is to be expected.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Connoisseur
    I attempted to obtain a bottle on Saturday to try this but my local was sold out. The worse part was they didn't know if they'd be getting any more! So instead a picked up EWSB '96 but I've yet to try it.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Connoisseur
    I just finished my regular round up of European online shops and came to the conclusion that it is not as available as it used to be.

Wild speculations on my behalf but could RHF have been given a lower priority after G.G.:s retirement?
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Quote Originally Posted by SBOmarc
    Certainly thought that this BOTM would get so much more comment. Like it or not, RHF deserves much more debate and discussion. Being a Single Barrel, surely some variation is to be expected.

Maybe it's the SB and I just got a slightly off one, but after a good 8 visits this month I just never became overly impressed with this bourbon. Sorry RHF you just didn't cut it for me...

Now what is next, is it time for suggestions yet? I am about out of Peter Jake's and think my last bottle was a little off, I DO need to buy another bottle or two of VWSR12 lot b, still haven't had a good enough reason to buy ORVW 10yr 107 YET! I'd have an excuse to order a few bottles of AAA if it was ever the BOTM, if Hirsch was it'd give me a reason to buy and taste another foil bottle, Weller Centenial would give me an excuse to go spend the money on those with the Louisville label, haven't had Kentucky Spirit in a while... Sorry just thinking on the keyboard...
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Novice
    I bought a bottle of RHF about 2 years ago and I liked it so much that after about two drinks, I put on my mantle and I save it for special occassions. That bottle is nearly empty now and pretty soon I am going to get a new one to replace it.

I tend to get in moods for different bourbons so to call it my absolute favorite is not quite accurate, but it is a great bourbon.

Jimmy

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Posting late on this one but would like to get my dibs in. I don't have a bottle but tasted it at Talbott's recently and still have a clear impression of the taste. It was rich, cakey, fine-flavored, showing some wood notes but well-integrated in the whole. It is certainly a luxurious taste. Some might find it a little bland (expensive, refined spirits sometimes are) but I think it needs to be consumed neat and probably after dinner. I could see it going well with those cigars that were in fine form at Gazebo recently.

Gary

Novice

Re: BOTM, 4/06: Rock Hill Farms

Posting late here indeed. I finally found a bottle of RHF today, and after reading all of the positive comments here was anxious to try it. After retuning home I had a small taste. (Hey it's only 3:00 here) First impression..excellent. I will withhold final judgement until later. I am quite frustrated at the difficulty I had opening the bottle!! After using brut strength the top finally came off. It seems there was some type of glue(?) around the top rim. The cork was damaged in the process, and now I worry about a good seal. I may have to resort to a mason jar to protect the stuff. Anybody esle had this problem with RHF? I have never experienced this before with any bottle! Ok I feel a little better now!
    Maybe tonight I can enjoy a pour.

Taster

Re: BOTM, 4/06: Rock Hill Farms

I had and have a problem opening my RHF bottle. Seems the thin cork layer dries out and causes the difficulty. Just a guess on my part. But the stuff inside the bottle is well worth the effort. RHF is my favorite...but is very scarce in these parts (Southwest Arkansas).
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Guru

Post Re: BOTM, 4/06: Rock Hill Farms

Quote Originally Posted by Isoflex View Post
    I had and have a problem opening my RHF bottle. Seems the thin cork layer dries out and causes the difficulty. Just a guess on my part. But the stuff inside the bottle is well worth the effort. RHF is my favorite...but is very scarce in these parts (Southwest Arkansas).
    Don't feel too bad. I had to travel two states away (to Kentucky) to get mine.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur