Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Parker's Encomium

The great American wine expert and writer, Robert M. Parker Jr., wrote this in his last Wine Buyer's Guide about Harlan Estate, a Cabernet-based wine from a boutique California winery with a very high reputation:

"What can I say about the 1994? It satisfied all my requirements for perfection. ... spectacular aromatics soar from the glass offering up celestial levels of black currants, minerals, smoked herbs, cedar wood, coffee and toast. ...this seamless legend reveals full body and exquisite layers of phenomenally pure and rich fruit, followed by a 40+ second finish. ... Every possible jagged edge - acidity, alcohol, tannin, and wood - is brilliantly intertwined in what seems like a diaphanous format ...no hint of heaviness or coarseness, immortality in a glass".

Wow. This is about a wine that fetches hundreds of dollars each on release.

It struck me reading this it wasn't a bad description of a great bourbon.

Recently a SB-er posted a review of a luxury Beam finished in a cognac barrel that might merit this description, but I wouldn't limit it to that.

Any other bourbon candidates?

Gary

P.S. Has anyone tasted a Harlan Estate? It sounds marvelous.
    Last edited by Gillman; 04-03-2006 at 18:14.

Of course, the aromatic and palate notes will differ from those of a wine, but at its best, the early (aka, 'cheesy gold') Wild Turkey 12yo can achieve something close to perfection.
    The original Pappy 23 from Lawrenceburg comes to mind, also, as does the Evan Williams 15yo. On the rye front, the Rittenhouse 10yo BIB.
    (Okay -- just remembered the 'Top 10' list from a few weeks ago, and reviewed my roster. I'm consistent, anyway. These are the first four I listed.)
    Note to self: Interesting that, although I prefer wheaters for everyday imbibing, these are all rye-flavored.
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    I nominate WL Weller 19
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

My Nomination

Whatever bourbon creates a miasma would probably have a diaphanous format, Right??
    Colonel Ed
    Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Quote Originally Posted by pepcycle
    Whatever bourbon creates a miasma would probably have a diaphanous format, Right??
    Or would miasmatic fulsomeness overwhelm diaphanousness?
    Tim

My choice would be a bottle of FRSB that has been half-full for a while (so as to deepen even more in flavor). Perhaps one would replace the fruit references in Parker's "eloge" with violets and mint (which of themselves though would apply well to some other Cabs). Drinks differ but it is interesting how descriptions of the one can seem apt when applied to the other.

Gary

Tim, I think you mean, miasmic half-fulsomeness.

Gary

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillman
    It struck me reading this it wasn't a bad description of a great bourbon.
    There are some of us in the wine trade that think that Parker's idea of great wine has a similar alcohol level to some bourbons .
    Jake Parrott
    Ledroit Brands, LLC

Enthusiast
    Oh and Gary, what is the atomic number of Encomium?
    Jake Parrott
    Ledroit Brands, LLC

I know the views of those who admire many of the super-Cabs are not shared by all. I am no wine expert so I can't really say, but I just like the way Parker writes about wine. I think I would share many of his opinions if I had more experience in wine tasting, I think I tend to see things his way. However I admire Jancis Robinson's writing too and she tends to reflect I think a typically British approach both in how she writes and the wines she likes (preferring e.g. wines not too extracted or high in alcohol). Parker is a very American writer and (perhaps because I am neither American nor English) I find much to like in both. At this level I find the writing of such authors educational and inspiring, even if I never taste most of what they write about!

Gary