Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Appreciating Van Winkle

Recently, in finishing a bottle of ORVW 13 year old rye, I was reminded that whatever is bottled by Van Winkle or bears that name is always of the highest quality. Never have I had a bottle from them that was musty or questionable. Their whiskeys offer a range of flavors on the older end of the spectrum (from 10 years and up) and offer the distinctiveness of being wheat-recipe (except for the rye whiskeys of course and the rare surviving 23 year old Lawrenceburg bourbon). They keep up an old tradition, which is the independent merchant who matures and sells whiskey to the market which bears a house style from what they select and how they age it. Even the arrangement with Trace won't change that because when you buy a VW product you know they selected it and it guarantees the quality they have always offered the public. To me they represent the best of the American whiskey business. Can't wait to try the new 12 year Lot B.

Gary

Enthusiast
    Gary has just "distilled" the correct!

The new Lot B will be just as good I hope/pray!

Connoisseur
    New Lot B? Please explain more? Is it new to you or is there a new 'batch' coming our way. I know a few places in NJ that have a good supply of the current release.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Quote Originally Posted by DrinkyBanjo
    New Lot B? Please explain more? Is it new to you or is there a new 'batch' coming our way. I know a few places in NJ that have a good supply of the current release.
    Beginning last July, Julian began bottling Lot B with Bernheim wheated bourbon instead of Stitzel-Weller, which had run out at that age. There is no way to tell them apart by the bottling/label itself. So, unless you know that a bottle's been on the shelf since further back than last July, you may be getting either one.
    The current Lot B was available to taste at Binny's/WhiskyFest in Chicago last week. I suspect if you put an old one and a new one side-by-side, you'd be able to differentiate. However, either will be satisfy your desire for Lot B.
    Tim

Guru
    I think he should call it "Lot C", as it would definitely be from a different lot of whiskey.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Guru
    Tim,

I once asked Julian here what "Lot B" signified. Answer: Nothing. And no, there was no bottling labeled "Lot A".

He said I was giving the matter more thought than he had, IRCC.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon
    I suspect if you put an old one and a new one side-by-side, you'd be able to differentiate.
    The newer Bernheim is good whiskey but is still IMO no match for the SW it replaced. Luckily, I have bunkered many bottles of the SW Lot-B.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Connoisseur
    I was really looking to try some PVW20 this weekend and when I found some on Wed. for $75 a bottle at a liquor store I was checking out for the first time I immediately grabbed it of the shelf. As I walked to the register I thought about how this was a lot of money, relatively, for a bottle of whiskey but I bought it anyway. Poured myself a snifter of this yesterday and I must say I really enjoyed it! (I wish I had more refined taste buds to give really nice, descriptive, tasting notes like others on this forum do but the best I can do here is a slight taste of cherry all the way with a bit of wood a little after I swallow, hope that makes sense.) After this I poured myself some RVW10 107 proof. I enjoyed it just as I had the previous times Iíd tasted it but, the alcohol taste aside, it wasnít as flavorful. I even tried a small sip of the PVW20 right after to confirm this. Well, I definitely have no regrets about buying this although I plan to save(savor? ) this one for a while since it is after all a bit expensive.
    Tonight I popped open the VWSR12 I bought with the PVW20 and found myself even more impressed with this line. A smooth bourbon with a nice, rich maple taste and nose. I was originally planning a comparison of some PVW20 and my current favorite, EC18, for tomorrow while I watch my shows but I think Iím going to have to do a comparison between the PVW20 and the VWSR12 instead to decide just who the challenger should be. One things for sure, after trying this Iím sure that the PVW23 Iíve got tucked away, whenever I decide to open it, will be dynamite!
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by gothbat
    but the best I can do here is a slight taste of cherry all the way with a bit of wood a little after I swallow, hope that makes sense.
    I'm glad someone else picked up on the cherries.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Connoisseur
    Ok, LOT B is mentioned by two different people here. It's ok to say LOT B has no meaning, but appearantly is does to somebody, because it keeps showing up in threads all over the place, top ten choices, etc.

Is lot B just some people's way of saying the second batch in the same year?

Anybody? Or especially the people that used the term?

Thanks in advance,
    obviously a Novice,

Mark