Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26
  1. #1
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    651

    Can you guess what I just had?

    Alright, Gary and I started a can you guess what I just poured thread. Describe the flavors you experienced and other helpful hints and we will try to guess what it was you just had.


    Ok,ok...not just Gary and I but everybody guess what it is.
    Mark/Nebraska


    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

  2. #2
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    9,097
    Mark did the first one, Sazerac straight rye whiskey "junior" and my choice was Elmer T. Lee bourbon. My thinking on this is some information beyond one taste note should be given, including perhaps some commercial information. Otherwise it may be too hard to spot the brand. Giving too much information would make it too easy. But one word if distinctive enough might do it as spinach did for the Sazerac rye, so I don't want to pre-judge it, but words such as "minty" alone probably won't work. Also, I suggest we avoid descriptions which recall expressions well-known here (e.g. "vitamins" for Dickel). I suggest someone else pick a third whiskey, if no one does we'll know interest has trailed off.

    Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 06-16-2006 at 06:31.

  3. #3
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    300
    I enjoyed a lunchtime jigger of a fairly popular whiskey. It is a high rye recipe Bourbon that I reakon does not get enough attention really.

    I find it an easy to drink whiskey, at just over 90 proof. The spicey rye flavour is there but more subtle than say a Wild Turkey. I let a girl taste my drink (she is not a Bourbon drinker) and she said it was much more like Brandy than whiskey which I thought was spot on...

    So all in all a smooth, easy to drink whiskey, high rye recipe, easy finish with a brandy like edge to it. Any guesses?
    Philip

    I guess good whiskey really does tickle my pickle!

  4. #4
    Novice
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Eastern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    14
    Gary - I picked out Marks' Sazerac 6yo ... and I also thought about the ETL for yours, but your clues included both "chocolatey" and "nutmeg-like" and I attribute both of these to EC18 also - a tricky one !

    It might be interesting to pick several characteristics but only one relatively distinguishing item (but not a unique one).

    Quote Originally Posted by Gillman
    Mark did the first one, Sazerac straight rye whiskey "junior" and my choice was Elmer T. Lee bourbon. My thinking on this is some information beyond one taste note should be given, including perhaps some commercial information. Otherwise it may be too hard to spot the brand. Giving too much information would make it too easy. But one word if distinctive enough might do it as spinach did for the Sazerac rye, so I don't want to pre-judge it, but words such as "minty" alone probably won't work. Also, I suggest we avoid descriptions which recall expressions well-known here (e.g. "vitamins" for Dickel). I suggest someone else pick a third whiskey, if no one does we'll know interest has trailed off.

    Gary

  5. #5
    Novice
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Eastern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambernecter
    ... at just over 90 proof ... I let a girl taste my drink (she is not a Bourbon drinker) and she said it was much more like Brandy ... a smooth, easy to drink whiskey, high rye recipe, easy finish with a brandy like edge to it. Any guesses?
    Hmmmm.....you could be drinking Blanton's SB ?

  6. #6
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    300
    I could have been Tricky but I was not! Not as good as Blanton's IMO but still very nice - this is a pretty new whiskey and has won a few awards already.
    Philip

    I guess good whiskey really does tickle my pickle!

  7. #7
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Central Arizona (near Prescott), U.S.A.
    Posts
    4,235
    Whenever someone mentions "brandy", I think of Eagle Rare SB 10 y/o. I'm not sure about the other points you mentioned, such as the high-rye recipe.

    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

    Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

  8. #8
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    300
    Well not to drag this out, it was Woodford Reserve. Not a bad drop at all I reakon and one that worked today in the Summer sun.
    Philip

    I guess good whiskey really does tickle my pickle!

  9. #9
    Administrator in exile
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    3,904
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambernecter
    Well not to drag this out, it was Woodford Reserve. Not a bad drop at all I reakon and one that worked today in the Summer sun.
    Now see, if you had said "tastes like a copper penny" I would have gotten that
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

  10. #10
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff
    Now see, if you had said "tastes like a copper penny" I would have gotten that
    Ha! Nice one Jeff - didn't want to make it too easy though.

    There is no love for this whiskey on this here forum but I always have quite liked it...
    Philip

    I guess good whiskey really does tickle my pickle!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top