Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Mint Julep

Novice

Re: Mint Julep

I make these cause my wife likes em.
    I grow 2 mints. Kentucky Colonel, a cross between apple and spearmint, said to be bred specificly for juleps, and the less traditional Robert Mitchum Peppermint which I like to add to the mix, crazy heretic that I am.
    The thunder was his engine and the lightning was his load.
    Robert

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Inspired by Bettye Jo mentioning a brand of bourbon called Pendennis Club in the current vbt thread, I found online this early 1900's recipe for a mint julep associated with the famous Pendennis Club of Kentucky. The Club was known (in whiskey terms) for creating some famous whiskey cocktails.

It seems too it gave its name to a brand of bourbon. The recipe is notable for a number of reasons, including (what I have never heard before) that in a mint julep the mint should not be tasted but rather only smelled as the drink is consumed.

"MINT JULEP, PENDENNIS CLUB (1904)
    The Blue Grass Cook Book
    Compiled by Minnie C. Fox (1904)

PENDENNIS CLUB MINT JULEP
    By a well-known member of the club, Louisville, Ky.

These are some essentials:

1st. Fine, straight, old Kentucky Bourbon whisky-blended whiskies do not give good results.

2d. An abundant supply of freshly cut sprigs of mint-preferably young shoots-no portion of which has been bruised.

3d. Dry, cracked flint ice. A glass will answer the purpose, but a silver mug is preferable. At this club, silver cups are kept on ice. A syrup of sugar and water is also kept on hand.

The silver cup is first filled with the ice, and then the desired quantity of fine whisky poured in and thoroughly shaken with a spoon or shaker until a heavy frost forms on the mug. The desired amount of syrup is then poured in and stirred enough to be mixed. The mint is then carefully placed in the mugs with the stems barely sticking in the ice and the tops projecting 2 inches above the top of the cup. Straws are then placed in the cup, reaching from the bottom to about 1 inch above the top, and the sooner one sticks one's nose in the mint and begins drinking through the straws the better. There is no flavor of mint, merely the odor.

Any stinting in quality or quantity materially affects the result.

The complete Blue Grass Cook Book may also be found on the Michigan State University website:
    'Feeding America: The Historic American Cookbook Project'
    http://digital.lib.msu.edu/projects/cookbooks/".

Gary

Virtuoso

Any stinting in quality or quantity materially affects the result.
    I think I will make this my motto.

Looks like I need to find some dry cracked flint ice, by the time I crush ice it starts to melt.
    It would make thew world of difference to my favorite cocktail! I will have to try it without bruising mint in the bottom of the cup.

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra