Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Connoisseur

Question Weller Centennial & Weller 12

What is the consensus here as to which is considered the better bourbon, Weller Centennial 10yo or Weller 12yo? Judging by price it must be the Centennial....but, I know price does not always dictate when it comes to bourbons. From reading past threads, the Centennial has quite a following for sure. However, I do recollect in recent memory hearing more than one strong positive on here for Weller 12. Anyhow, I could not resist the $19.99 price tag of W12 when I ran across one yesterday. For some reason, there just are not many of them around here - nor the Centennial for that matter.

Connoisseur
    They're both quite excellent. While I'd give the edge to the 12 yo, that may be just my personal taste. The centennial is 100 proof and the 12 yo 90 proof.

Connoisseur

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by robbyvirus
    They're both quite excellent. While I'd give the edge to the 12 yo, that may be just my personal taste. The centennial is 100 proof and the 12 yo 90 proof.
    Very good point - forgot to acknowledge the fact - that we are talking about 2 different proofs. Normally, the 100+ proof bottle will cost more in most cases.....that is, if it is the good stuff.

I opened this 12yo a little while ago and I am impressed. It is very, very good.....think I'll get to that second pour now.

Guru
    Personally, I'd go with the Centennial. I have a real fondness for it ---- partially because I had my first bottle with some good friends I hadn't seen in years while sitting on our deck on a perfect summer eveneing.

Having said that... I also think it hits the perfect balance of age (oakiness) and drinkability.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    I have a real fondness for the Centennial, but have to admit that I've yet to have the newer BT version, as I still have several of the SW bottles bunkered.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle
    I have a real fondness for the Centennial, but have to admit that I've yet to have the newer BT version, as I still have several of the SW bottles bunkered.
    I am kind of thinking along your lines on this Timothy, I am not buying any Wellers that are not SW bourbon. I seem to be finding enough of the older SW wellers that I just out and out refuse to buy the newer stuff anytime soon. And I especially like it when I come across Liter bottles of the WL special reserve for only $17 - thats less than I find any of the newer 750ml bottles!

Nothing against BT, we all know they make great bourbon, but I have tasted enough to know that I'd rather buy and bunker all the SW prior to touching the newer stuff.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Enthusiast
    I understand your love of Van Winkle Bourbons; I'm there with you. However, I really think you will be pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Weller offerings, especially at the their price.

Ken

Connoisseur
    I agree, I found a bottle Weller Reserve 750ml for $17 and still thought it to be a great value. Love the Weller Antique 107 as well, one of my favorites.

Mark/Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Weber
    I understand your love of Van Winkle Bourbons; I'm there with you. However, I really think you will be pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Weller offerings, especially at the their price.

Ken
    Ken, you know there is no dearth of love here for Buffalo Trace whiskey and products! The current Weller 12yo standard bottling I have open was issued from Frankfort and is, I'm sure, (mostly, at least) Buffalo Trace bourbon -- it is among the finest standard bottlings on a shelf today.
    That said, I'm never satisfied that I have 'enough' Stitzel-Weller in the house (and I have a bit of it!).
    Tim

Advanced Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Weber

Ken
    Ken,
    I cannot agree with you more. I love all and your family has produced over the past years and bought, especially the Van Winlkle distillery. Not one I do not enjoy. My Favorate after being exposed to it in limited supply is the George T. Stagg, followed by Old Weller Antique 107, and Pappy 15 year old.... Salute!

PS: I have been SO very impressed with your customer service. I had a bottle of Pappy's 15 that was not quite right and you shipped me a new bottle. I am forever a Buffalo Trace customer.

Sincerely,
    Geo
    "A glass a day keeps the doctor away"
    Sincerely,
    George