Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso
    I've had very little S-W bourbon (ORVW 15, PVW 15, and possibly a Lot B, assuming it was pre-Bernheim) - while I'm very sad to see it go, I can't help but say that nothing I've had from BT has let me down. From the "standard" BT (I've only had the Binny's single-barrel version), to the Weller 12 and Antique, three different Staggs, Saz Jr. and Sr., Larue, AAA 10yo... what's not to like?
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    The Weller whiskey available now, although bottled at Buffalo Trace, is whiskey that was made at Bernheim when that distillery and the Weller brand were still owned by what is now Diageo. We're probably still a couple years away from tasting any wheated bourbon distilled and aged entirely at Buffalo Trace.

Of the two bottlings, I prefer the Weller 12. I like it a little better, but I like the price a lot better. Even though they have reduced the price of the Centennial, it has continued to support a higher price from when it was part of the "Collection."

Connoisseur

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery
    The Weller whiskey available now, although bottled at Buffalo Trace, is whiskey that was made at Bernheim when that distillery and the Weller brand were still owned by what is now Diageo. We're probably still a couple years away from tasting any wheated bourbon distilled and aged entirely at Buffalo Trace.

Of the two bottlings, I prefer the Weller 12. I like it a little better, but I like the price a lot better. Even though they have reduced the price of the Centennial, it has continued to support a higher price from when it was part of the "Collection."
    So far, I have really developed a love affair with this first bottle of Weller 12. I have yet to put the dollars down for Centennial but cannot imagine it being much (if any) better. I think being part of the "Collection" has played into the pricing. Wonder if they will ever drop the designation since there appears to be no real collection any longer? Well, I guess technically there is - 3 of the original 5 still exist - if you want to call that a "collection". Probably not, the boardroom has probably decided to run with the designation as long as it sells - or their perception is that it helps the sales.
    Last edited by ProofPositive; 04-25-2006 at 23:31.
    "All I can say is that I have taken more out of alcohol than it has taken out of me".....Winston Churchill

Connoisseur
    I opened my first bottle of Centennial tonight and really enjoyed the flavor. Kind of sweet, like a nice carmel apple, and very smooth. I am going to have to pick up a bottle of the 12...I fear this will never end...not a bad problem.
    Todd

Connoisseur

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by T47
    I opened my first bottle of Centennial tonight and really enjoyed the flavor. Kind of sweet, like a nice carmel apple, and very smooth. I am going to have to pick up a bottle of the 12...I fear this will never end...not a bad problem.
    I agree....not a bad problem at all. I have been hording up the last bottles of Antique in my area that came out of Louisville. The Weller 12 is just about gone now from my cupboard.....the wife like it as well or even better than me!
    "All I can say is that I have taken more out of alcohol than it has taken out of me".....Winston Churchill

Connoisseur

Re: Weller Centennial & Weller 12

I have recently returned to my bottle of Weller Centennial and must reitterate my preference for it over the 12 yr. I think it may be the quintessential bourbon. I actually got apricots on this afternoon's pour. To me it is perfectly balanced at this age and proof. I have a couple of bottles of the older Louisville Centennial, but if I'll be surprised if I can detect any improvement in those bottles. All hail BT Weller Centennial!

-Mike
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Enthusiast

Weller bourbons are scarce in South Jersey. Only the Antique 107 (which is the only Weller that I don't like; too harsh) is easy to find in these parts.

But business takes me south to Washington on occasion, so I manage to stop in the State Line Liquor store right over the Maryland state line and I've been able to sample the Weller line. (That liquor store's a throwback, it's right over the state line and no doubt did an amazing business back in the day when the drinking age was 18. Quite an excellent selection, including their Own Brand, State Line Bourbon! (It's 4-year old HH)).

I discovered the Weller Centennial, Buffalo Trace version, first. Simply an amazing bourbon, one of my top five for sure. Like burlowski says, balance and flavor are the heart of this bourbon. Yes, I've since tried the original S-W version of the Centennial, and it's tremedous, but the Buffalo Trace version is different and every bit as good! . Maybe better.

I like the 12-year old, too. (Only have the BT version of this one). Same for the 7-yaer old Special Reserve; the wheated BT expressions ought to be warm comfort to the S-W fans out there, as their bunkers dwindle - this style of bourbon is in very, very good hands.

Guru

Is the SW version of Weller Centennial Louisville and BT version Frankfort?

Thanks.

Will

Virtuoso

Don't know if it is proper etiquette here to bring up an old thread, or, better to start a new one. In any event, stopped in a couple of stores today and noticed Centennial absent. So, I thought back to the places I have been in the last month and could not recall seeing it anywhere but one place....which only had 1 on the shelf. Asked the clerks at the stores today and they said it had been on order for awhile......and, they commented that it has become harder to get in the last year or so.

Like some other 'older' bourbons, are the Centennial barrels also running low at Buffalo Trace? I hope not and further I hope they are not considering the unthinkable. I know Weller 12 is still in production as a new bottle was introduced earlier this year. However, I have not seen much of it either. I would guess that out of 20-25 stores me visited in the last month, saw maybe a half dozen bottles. Perhaps it is running short as well? If so, then I suppose the toll on older bourbon inventories may be much more severe than previously thought(?). Anybody else noticed shortages on these fine Wellers?

Just in the last day or so, my blood pressure has been slowly falling towards a more normal level after the news about OCPR. Now, it is beginning to rise again! HELP!!!!!!!

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Why would you care about Centennial when Weller 12 is cheaper and, arguably, better? Centennial's only advantage is its proof.