Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Weller Centennial & Weller 12

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Why would you care about Centennial when Weller 12 is cheaper and, arguably, better? Centennial's only advantage is its proof.
    Because of the "arguably better" part, I'd say if you asked me. I've never warmed up to Weller 12 so much, personally, but Centennial is a good vehicle for drinking a wheater.

And since I don't guzzle the stuff, the expense is less important than the flavor.

Roger

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Rughi View Post
    I've never warmed up to Weller 12 so much, personally, but Centennial is a good vehicle for drinking a wheater.
    My sentiments exactly.
    Weller 12 was just OK, Centennial is very good.
    ovh

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Why would you care about Centennial when Weller 12 is cheaper and, arguably, better? Centennial's only advantage is its proof.
    Because of the "arguably better" part, I'd say if you asked me. I've never warmed up to Weller 12 so much, personally, but Centennial is a good vehicle for drinking a wheater.

And since I don't guzzle the stuff, the expense is less important than the flavor.

Roger
    Somebody send me a bottle of each, and I'll break the tie!
    Tim

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Somebody send me a bottle of each, and I'll break the tie!
    Ohh no you don't
    I know that trick.

You'll drink both and say that early results were inconclusive and further research is necessary.

Roger
    PS - I'll join ya.

Ohh no you don't
    I know that trick.

You'll drink both and say that early results were inconclusive and further research is necessary...
    What's that got to do with it?!
    Tim

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ProofPositive View Post
    What is the consensus here as to which is considered the better bourbon, Weller Centennial 10yo or Weller 12yo? Judging by price it must be the Centennial....but, I know price does not always dictate when it comes to bourbons. From reading past threads, the Centennial has quite a following for sure. However, I do recollect in recent memory hearing more than one strong positive on here for Weller 12. Anyhow, I could not resist the $19.99 price tag of W12 when I ran across one yesterday. For some reason, there just are not many of them around here - nor the Centennial for that matter.

I've never had the 12yo, unfortunately, but had the Centennial and Antique and I'd much rather save my money and drink some Antique. Actually, even if they were both the same price, I'd still choose the Antique.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life View Post
    I am kind of thinking along your lines on this Timothy, I am not buying any Wellers that are not SW bourbon. I seem to be finding enough of the older SW wellers that I just out and out refuse to buy the newer stuff anytime soon. And I especially like it when I come across Liter bottles of the WL special reserve for only $17 - thats less than I find any of the newer 750ml bottles!

Nothing against BT, we all know they make great bourbon, but I have tasted enough to know that I'd rather buy and bunker all the SW prior to touching the newer stuff.

Don't you all like variety? Instead of this board being called straightbourbon.com we should just call it SW.com or Stitzel&Weller.com. I realize that SW is very good but geez there are so many other good bourbons available to us all today. Of course, most people seem to avoid the current bottlings like the plague, that is until they become near extinct and everyone will be driving to the ends of the Earth to find them.

My feeling is, we live in a great time for bourbon. Enjoy variety and what's currently out there. There's some damned fine bourbon to be had that currently being bottled.

VOL, I'm certainly not calling you out, I just needed to vent after reading your SW comments. I hope you don't take it personally.
    Last edited by NickAtMartinis; 11-27-2007 at 17:10.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by NickAtMartinis View Post
    Instead of this board being called straightbourbon.com we should just call it SW.com or Stitzel&Weller.com...
    Not all here worship at the altar of Stitzel Weller.
    (For myself, I think they did a great job with their mashbill handicap, though )

It's not so surprising, though, that a thread titled "Weller Centennial & Weller 12" has a lot of SW talk.

As I've written often, day in and day out, I'll take ND Grand Dad and Taylor, but that's for another thread.

Roger
    Last edited by Rughi; 11-27-2007 at 17:27.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Ohh no you don't
    I know that trick.

You'll drink both and say that early results were inconclusive and further research is necessary.

Roger
    PS - I'll join ya.
    You know that no true study relies on only one sample, you need a wide number of bottles to prove empirically that one is better than the other. You would need at least three or more samples of each bottling to even think about reaching a conclusion. One of the earliest examples of each, the most recent example of each, as well as a randomly chosen sample of each. Plus you would need more than one bottle representing each of those samples just to make sure that the one bottle representing that era of the spirit wasn't a fluke (for good or bad).

As soon as these bottlings are collected, I'll be more than happy to administer and collect the results of a double blind study.

Send samples to me at:
    Weller Bourbon Study
    c/o Barturtle
    The Swamp, LA
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    You know that no true study relies on only one sample, you need a wide number of bottles to prove empirically that one is better than the other. You would need at least three or more samples of each bottling to even think about reaching a conclusion.
    Hmmmmm....
    what would that be like???

Roger