Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Connoisseur

SW Bourbon List?

I was thinking the other day since SW is going to be extinct soon, maybe some members here could compile a list of all SW bourbon available. I am not sure if this list is too long or difficult to compile, but it seems that the SW bourbon topic comes up a lot in discussions here. Just my 2 cents.

Evangelos

That is a great idea that I had thought about as well.

Probably would be a list of decent length if you were to throw in all the older iterations of Fitz, such as very very old fitzgerald that is most likely never to be found again on a store shelf. But then again you just never know what could be sitting around in some very unexpected locations.

I'd be willing to bet, Evangelos, that someone already has something very close to this, just a matter of if they'll share it?...
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Connoisseur

perhaps

Maybe we try and stick with the available (even if not readily avaialble) SW bourbons so anybody on sb.com can at least get a taste and bunker a few bottles before all of it is gone...........

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker
    I think the list of current products with SW whiskey is short - Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 15, 20, and 23 YO.

• W.L. Weller Special Reserve 7yo (Louisville label)
    • W.L. Weller Centennial (Bourbon Heritage Collection -- Louisville label)
    • Old Weller Antique 107 (Louisville label)
    • Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12yo (BHC -- early Louisville label)
    • Rebel Yell (pre-c. 1990), 80- or 90-proof
    • Cabin Still, pre-c. 1992
    • Old Fitzgerald BIB (and variants -- e.g., , VOF, VVOF, VEOF, et al) from DSP-KY-16
    • Old Fitzgerald Prime (86 and 80 proofs), pre-c.1996
    • Old Rip Van Winkle 10/90 and 10/107, Lawrenceburg label
    • Old Commonwealth 10/107
    • Delilah's 10/100
    • Other custom bottlings (Park Avenue Liquors, Woodside Partners, Binny's, et al)
    • Van Winkle Special Reserve 12yo Lot B (pre-July 2005)
    • Old Rip Van Winkle 15 (all)
    • Pappy Van Winkle 15
    • Twisted Spoke 16
    • Pappy Van Winkle 20
    • Pappy Van Winkle 23 (2nd and 3rd issues)
    • David Nicholson 1843, pre-c.1990
    • pre-1982 Old Commonwealth decanters, issued by J.P. Van Winkle (Julian's father) & Son (Julian)

Here's a start. I'm sure I've overlooked some early ones, and I'm not sure whether Weller 12 or Old Fitz's 1849 was ever 100% Stitzel-Weller, so others may suggest more.
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 04-24-2006 at 20:36.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon
    • Pappy Van Winkle 23 (2nd and 3rd issues)
    Here's a start. I'm sure I've overlooked some early ones, and I'm not sure whether Weller 12 or Old Fitz's 1849 was ever 100% Stitzel-Weller, so others may suggest more.
    THANKS TIM! I somehow knew you'd chime in.

Who did the first release of Pappy 23? I read somewhere else that any green tinted bottles WEREN'T SW, but that post didn't say where they did come from. Bernheim?
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life
    ...Who did the first release of Pappy 23? I read somewhere else that any green tinted bottles WEREN'T SW, but that post didn't say where they did come from. Bernheim?
    Julian is disinclined to say where that whiskey came from. Some of us have our guesses, but no confirmations. Whatever the provenance, damned good stuff!
    Tim

Disciple
    For whatever it is worth, I read somewhere that the green tinted bottles of Pappy were from some barrels made at the long closed Old Boone distillery in Meadowlawn,KY. I will dig around and see if I can find the article.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH
    For whatever it is worth, I read somewhere that the green tinted bottles of Pappy were from some barrels made at the long closed Old Boone distillery in Meadowlawn,KY. I will dig around and see if I can find the article.
    Julian himself has offered us at Gazebo gatherings some Boone bourbon in some of his early 14- and 16-yo bottlings, so I think if the 23 were also from there, he'd tell us.
    Tim

Disciple
    Hello everyone,
    I found the article that mentions the whiskey Julian used from the Boone distillery. In Jim Murrays book "Classic Tennessee, Bourbon and Rye whiskey" from 1998, it is on page 184 just below a picture of Will Mcgill, master distiller at S-W just after prohibition. By the way, this picture was mistakenly labeled as one of Pappy Van Winkle. In this article, it says the whiskey was some 20 year old from the Boone distillery. It may very well be that the Pappy 23 isn't from Boone whiskey stock, who knows? It also says that all other whiskey he marketed up until that time was primarily Stitzel Weller stock. I hope this helps!

Thomas
    Last edited by ThomasH; 04-24-2006 at 15:45.