Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBoozer
    I'm pretty sure I remember Tim saying the the BHC ones were in fact S/W, while the non BHC's it wasn't really clear.
    I don't think it was even that simple.

The non BHC bottles actually appeared to be older, but that may have just been by chance...
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life
    I don't think it was even that simple.

The non BHC bottles actually appeared to be older, but that may have just been by chance...
    ahhh you are probably right about that. sorry to confuse the issue.
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    All of the brand expressions in the Bourbon Heritage Collection were created for the collection. I believe Weller Centennial (now Buffalo Trace) and Very Special Old Fitzgerald (now Heaven Hill) are the only ones that continued to be made after the "set" was broken up when Diageo sold three of the five brands in it. There are, of course, old bottles of all five "out there," but the main point is that there can't be any non-BHC bottles (of Weller and Fitz) that are older than the BHC bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery
    There are, of course, old bottles of all five "out there," but the main point is that there can't be any non-BHC bottles (of Weller and Fitz) that are older than the BHC bottles.
    Thanks Chuck, those I saw must have just gotten more light to fade the labels and hadn't been dusted as recently...
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Connoisseur
    Some of these, specifically one's like Cabin Still pre-92, are they really worth having anyway? I guess what I'm trying to say is Cabin Still, even though it is from SW stock, is it really going to taste that great, or even good?

Now I'm going to say up front that I have never had a pour of Cabin Still, so I'm talking out of my hat somewhat here.

Mark/Nebraska
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska
    Some of these, specifically one's like Cabin Still pre-92, are they really worth having anyway? I guess what I'm trying to say is Cabin Still, even though it is from SW stock, is it really going to taste that great, or even good?

Now I'm going to say up front that I have never had a pour of Cabin Still, so I'm talking out of my hat somewhat here.

Mark/Nebraska
    That depends. Those types of SW can be very hit and miss. They are going to probably younger and I'm assuming maybe not the premium barrels. But there are still plenty of good bottle of Cabin Still, Rebel Yell or Old Fitz BIB. And there are bad ones. I tend to stay away from decanters b/c the seals seem to be not as good over time.

I've had pretty good luck with the older SW Old Fitz's BIB.

I think it's still worth getting them if the price is right, because it gives you more taste knowledge and some of them are very good, if you can get them for the shelf price. So what am i saying? If your a bourbon geek, and you find one for a good price you might as well pick it up to give it a shot.

Connoisseur
    I'm a bourbon geek, but having to make choices. I ran across 4 bottles of Cabin Still, 1 liter, fake tax stamp, upc code, and if you can go by the bottom of the bottle looks like an "89". I bought 1, but really wanted to get home to do some research before considering buying the others, $13.49 for the bottle, before tax.

I am definitely going back, but my wallet is aching already. I picked up 12 ER 101/10, OW Antique 107 and WT RR 101. I'm going back for a WT12 that I left and am thinking I may as well get the other Cabin Stills while I am there.

If nothing else, would the Cabin Still make a good base for an attempt at casking?

Mark/Nebraska
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Connoisseur
    yeah, if you have the opportunity to try one of the Cabin Stills first, thats what I would do, then you would know wether you want the other 3.

Im sure it would be good for casking, Dougdog or Gillman know more about that than I do. I know Doug has a vatting that is a mixture of quite a few old bourbons and it taste very good.

right know i have a barrel that is all WT Rye. I haven't tried mixing stuff together yet , but it seems the results can be very good.

sounds like some good finds there!

Connoisseur
    I popped open the Cabin Still and considered writing some tasting notes. The tasting notes were going to begin with I got a STRONG aroma of Curry/anise, a VERY pleasing aroma...I'm thinking wow this is great!

Just then my wife walked by and asked what I was doing and I remarked how wonderful the nose was on this bourbon. As she was walking away she said, "you do realize 20 minutes ago you added curry powder to the chicken on the stove and I saw you wipe what was spilled off with your hand".

Humm...

Mark/Nebraska
    Mark/Nebraska

Guru
    I can understand a reluctance on the old decanters but I did get an Old Cabin Still decanter off eBay a year or so ago that I find to be very nice whiskey. The cork disintegrated when I opened it but it had stayed reasonably intact enough to seal in all the goodness with no harshness left. I believe it was in a Ducks Unlimited decanter in the same style as the SW Irish series. (Not bad for a ten dollar bid back before the snipers started bushwhacking me.)
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.