Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Administrator in exile
    Quote Originally Posted by Sijan
    I'm curious as to what extent the W.L. Weller 12 year old was ever made from S-W whiskey? Any way to distinguish current Weller 12 from the S-W batches, if there were any.

Thanks in advance for your answer(s).
    I'm not sure when Weller 12 changed but I believe Ken Weber has stated semi-recently that there is still some S-W in the current bottling. Probably not much though and that might have changed with the new design.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Enthusiast
    If anyone can get there, The Northender liquor store in Springfield, Illinois, as of about a week ago had a bunch of bottles of David Nicholson 1843 on the shelf. This is a 7-year-old BIB from DSP-KY-16. They're selling it for under $15 a bottle.

Disciple
    Would still like to find out how to tell an "early" Lousiville bottle of VSOF12 from a "later" bottle of VSOF12

See http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...2&postcount=42
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Based on the information provided in the previous post, in particular the presence of the BHC collar, both would appear to be "early." I suppose you want to know which would be earlier, and there I can't help you. However, in the other post you asked if they are SW and I have to believe both are.

Disciple
    Thanks for your answer. I don't care which one is earlier - they're identical as far as I can tell. I don't even know which one is which now. But glad to hear they're likely S-W whiskey.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8erdane
    I can understand a reluctance on the old decanters but I did get an Old Cabin Still decanter off eBay a year or so ago that I find to be very nice whiskey. The cork disintegrated when I opened it but it had stayed reasonably intact enough to seal in all the goodness with no harshness left. I believe it was in a Ducks Unlimited decanter in the same style as the SW Irish series. (Not bad for a ten dollar bid back before the snipers started bushwhacking me.)
    I just finished a 1969 hillbilly decanter that I got off of eBay for $4.99. It was truly a wonderful drink. If that was a six year old SW, then I can't imagine how good an old stock 10 or 12 year old would be. It ended up near the top of all bourbons I've had the pleasure of tasting. Pronounced alchohol in the nose...vanilla and spice...and a lonnnngggg finish. Beautiful!

Advanced Taster

Question Antique 107

Just curious, in the later bottlings of Antique 107 that don't show Louisville, Kentucky as their origin, what distillery does that bourbon come from? Thanks, Tom V
    Hey, by the way, what happened to all those fun icons? 'Am I just missing how to access them? They were fun.

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by tmas
    Just curious, in the later bottlings of Antique 107 that don't show Louisville, Kentucky as their origin, what distillery does that bourbon come from? Thanks, Tom V
    Buffalo Trace in Frankfort.
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Advanced Taster

Re: SW Bourbon List?

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    • W.L. Weller Special Reserve 7yo (Louisville label)
    • Old Weller Antique 107 (Louisville label)
    I just found some Weller Special Reserve from what appears to be a 1994 bottling w/Lousiville label so I did a little digging and am now a little unsure of the above listing for the two Wellers.

Ken Weber said the following in this post: (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...0&postcount=21)

Just because the label says it is produced in Louisville, you still need to consider a few things. The Buffalo Trace Distillery distilled and aged some wheated whiskey for UD for nearly a decade before we actually bought the brand. Even after we purchased the brand, we continued using the former labels (with the Louisville address) because we had so many and the BATF gave us permission to use them up.
    While early/mid 90's Weller is probably SW, late 90's Weller might not be even if it has the Louisville label. Is my analysis right in that late 90's Weller could be old SW, BT that was distilled for UDV, OR some of the first Bernheim?

Ken do you know what year BT starting making this wheated whiskey for UDV? Did you guys get any of the aging Bernheim stock when purchasing the Weller name? (If you are allowed to say of course )

Connoisseur

Re: SW Bourbon List?

Since this this is an older thread that has just been brought back to life, it should be noted that the postings relating to all Pappy 15 being S-W were true when written. However, according to Julian, there have been some bottles released recently that are not S-W.

Tom