Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: SW Bourbon List?

Quote Originally Posted by TomH View Post
    Since this this is an older thread that has just been brought back to life, it should be noted that the postings relating to all Pappy 15 being S-W were true when written. However, according to Julian, there have been some bottles released recently that are not S-W.

Tom
    Tom,

Can you add info to this?
    Any way to tell when and which bottlings?
    I'm just about to make a purchase of six bottles of Pappa 15 and will hold off now - at least until I can be sure that what I will be purchasing is in fact SW whisky.

~tp

Connoisseur

Really not much to add to this. When Julian was in town for a tasting at a local store we talking about the Pappy 15 and how much longer it would be produced. He said that they had released a small amount of Pappy 15 recently with BT product. When I asked if there was any way to identify them he said no.

As someone else previously said in the thread, Julian does not put out bad bourbon, so I really wouldn't worry too much. If you are planning on buying several bottles, buy one and try it. It would be a pretty good assumption that all bottles sitting on a shelf should be the same, so if you like it buy some more.

Tom

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by TomH View Post
    Really not much to add to this. When Julian was in town for a tasting at a local store we talking about the Pappy 15 and how much longer it would be produced. He said that they had released a small amount of Pappy 15 recently with BT product. When I asked if there was any way to identify them he said no.

As someone else previously said in the thread, Julian does not put out bad bourbon, so I really wouldn't worry too much. If you are planning on buying several bottles, buy one and try it. It would be a pretty good assumption that all bottles sitting on a shelf should be the same, so if you like it buy some more.

Tom
    Thanks - my primary 'bourbon' focus right now is all things SW, so unless I know these 15's are, in fact SW, I won't be purchasing them.

Maybe Julian will see this post and advise when the Non-15's were released.

~tp

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    Thanks - my primary 'bourbon' focus right now is all things SW, so unless I know these 15's are, in fact SW, I won't be purchasing them.

Maybe Julian will see this post and advise when the Non-15's were released.

~tp
    You know he's in the business of SELLING Pappy 15's. If he thinks the bourbon is good enough to carry HIS name, then why would he help you to not buy his product. IMHO, I don't think Julian will be much help to you. I'm also betting that the non-S/W Pappy 15's are just as good as the other ones. Julian is gifted at picking out GREAT whiskey. Maybe you should trust him. Most SB.com members do.
    Joe

Connoisseur

Just picked up these dusty shelf bottles last week...Two Cabin Still bottles, both tax-stamped, no barcode, from Louisville. I assume these are SW whiskey? I sampled one of them, and it's pretty tasty...the flavor doesn't linger around very long, but definitely better than today's "bottom shelf" brands.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Connoisseur

Before last night I had 1 open PVW15 and 2 sealed ones, now I just have 2 sealed. They were all purchased while I was under the impression that all PVW15 was 100% SW and the quantity I purchased was heavily influenced by this fact. Since then I’ve learned that they may not be SW and was a bit disappointed; I am a pessimist so I am just going to assume that all of the ones I have are not the SW ones since there is no way to know for sure really. Having said that the one that the one I finished last night tasted just as good as any other PVW15 I’ve had in the past and the disappointment I mentioned above faded shortly after it began once I began thinking about the bottles as 2 really good bottles for later rather than 2 possible SW bottles for later. I can see trying to bunker SW stuff but for this brand it seems pointless seeing as how all the bottles and their contents are pretty much identical anyway.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Hi Rob

Check the bottom of the bottle for a date...

What a coninsidence I found these five liter's yesterday in Eastern Kentucky...

Bettye Jo

Quote Originally Posted by robbyvirus View Post
    Just picked up these dusty shelf bottles last week...Two Cabin Still bottles, both tax-stamped, no barcode, from Louisville. I assume these are SW whiskey? I sampled one of them, and it's pretty tasty...the flavor doesn't linger around very long, but definitely better than today's "bottom shelf" brands.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by boone; 03-18-2007 at 13:19.

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

What a pretty sight, indeed, Bettye Jo! Just look at the color in those faux tax stamped Cabin Stills!
    ____ ____
    Barrel_Proof

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Joeluka View Post
    You know he's in the business of SELLING Pappy 15's. If he thinks the bourbon is good enough to carry HIS name, then why would he help you to not buy his product. IMHO, I don't think Julian will be much help to you. I'm also betting that the non-S/W Pappy 15's are just as good as the other ones. Julian is gifted at picking out GREAT whiskey. Maybe you should trust him. Most SB.com members do.
    Wow, that was really helpful - thanks...

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by boone View Post
    Hi Rob

Check the bottom of the bottle for a date...

Bettye Jo
    I looked at the bottom of the bottles, and all it says is "Liquor Bottle", and then there's a circle with the number 81 in it...is that the date, maybe 1981??