Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur
    Well, I´m usually at odds with the rest of the world so I have to say that none of these bottles hold any attraction whatsoever to me.

Then again, you´d expect that from me, wouldn´t you?
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by nor02lei
    His name is Michael and he is collecting + 20 years bourbon and Heinz´s is his pal who claim he has the biggest bourbon collection in the world. Than is about all i know.

Leif
    Are they from Uberville?

Puterville?

Hooterville?

I'll go see if Billie Jo or Bobbi Jo knows 'em
    Attached Images Attached Images

Connoisseur
    ok well to me it's a bit odd to make a fake ebay listing just to meet people for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by nor02lei
    I have had a little contact with this guy. He just does this to get in contact with other bourbon collectors. He is not intending to sell his collection.

Leif
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBoozer
    ok well to me it's a bit odd to make a fake ebay listing just to meet people for whatever reason.
    Well I guess one of the reasons is actually to sell (hope that’s not the only reason) but not his 20+ collection. His buddy Heinz holds tastings but it seems quit expensive and a bit off-road. And as somebody else said am sure he knows of this forum. I can agree it is a bit odd with a face add.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Heinz and Michael are OK

I will say that Heinz and Michael may not fit in with our Gazebo crowd, but they are OK by me.
    They were generous enough to send a case of crystal glasses from the Whiskey Keller for sb.com members.

They shared some fine whiskey, although they were secretive about how they did it.

They've both been civil and social with me on all accounts.

Now, the issue of putting stuff on E-bay that's not intended to sell.
    It happens all the time. New car dealers repeatedly list cars with high reserves to get leads. We recommend to people who want to know the value of bourbon to do just the same to test the market.

Let's not be so naive to think that contacts are less valuable than items.
    Colonel Ed

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Guru
    Shhh! Next thing you know, eBay will figure out a way to charge for contacts.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by pepcycle
    I will say that Heinz and Michael may not fit in with our Gazebo crowd, but they are OK by me.
    They were generous enough to send a case of crystal glasses from the Whiskey Keller for sb.com members.

They shared some fine whiskey, although they were secretive about how they did it.

They've both been civil and social with me on all accounts.

It happens all the time. New car dealers repeatedly list cars with high reserves to get leads. We recommend to people who want to know the value of bourbon to do just the same to test the market.

as we know with ebay, just because you can do it, doesn't make it right, or legal. I wasn't aware of this type of stuff, so i guess i know now.

I'm not saying that those involved are less that honest, accoring to you and others, they are not. But to me, it does reside in a grey area that could be not too far off from bait and switch(or phising) if the person is shady. I think clarity of listing would do a lot in this area.
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

Taster
    It happens all the time. New car dealers repeatedly list cars with high reserves to get leads.
    We recommend to people who want to know the value of bourbon to do just the same to test the market.

Using your example - if a car dealer places a car on eBay for sale - they may open the auction bidding at a low price - but have a reserve that must be met in order to sell the car. They may be trying to feel the marketplace out for that car - or future cars that they want to sell also - but they have a dollar amount in mind ( i.e. reserve amount ) that they want to get for the car. In those types of auctions - they can track the bidding war on the car to get an idea of who is willing to pay what.

It is illegal for sellers to contact bidders after an auction closes without a sale - to see if they want to buy that car outside of the eBay auction system. Anyone that suggests that using eBay for this purpose should read the rules.

The auction that this thread is about is totally different:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...romZR40QQfviZ1

This is a "Buy It Now" auction - which does not allow for bidding at all. Therefore they have no clue as to what their collection is worth - because no one in their right mind would pay that much money.

$45,000 for a collection of 50 bottles of some great, some good & the rest unknown is a joke.

Let's give the collection the benefit of the doubt and say each bottle is worth $250.

$250 * 50 = $12,500

$45,000 - $12,500 = $32,500

Do the math.

With all due respect to the Bourbonian of the Year 2006, the nativity here is how eBay auctions work. I just hope that you didn't suggest their asking price.

[nativity should have been naivety]
    Last edited by Grant; 04-27-2006 at 16:10.

Really !!!

Who comes to get you the E-bay police?

"It is illegal for sellers to contact bidders after an auction closes without a sale - to see if they want to buy that car outside of the eBay auction system. Anyone that suggests that using eBay for this purpose should read the rules"
    Colonel Ed

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Taster
    Who comes to get you the E-bay police?

"It is illegal for sellers to contact bidders after an auction closes without a sale - to see if they want to buy that car outside of the eBay auction system. Anyone that suggests that using eBay for this purpose should read the rules"
    I guess that you chose to disregard the rest of my response - and came up with only what I can take as - if you can get away with something - even if it's illegal - then do so.

Edit: **portions deleted** Can't we all just get along? -Jeff
    Last edited by jeff; 04-27-2006 at 15:43.