Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Dickel #8 becoming limited

As I was catching up on my whiskycasts I came across a warning that Dickel #8 was going to become a limited availability product. That shutdown period is starting to affect stocks and they decided that it's better to have #12 available.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Disciple
    Ohio is discontinuing Dickel #8 in both the 750ml and 1.75L sizes. Limited availability must make this one not worth the bother to stock anymore!

Thomas

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    I would guess that in this case, limited availablity means no allocation for that state-and probably some others too.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Novice
    Here is the link to a page that Dickel attached to am email a while ago relating to this topic.

http://www.knowyourdrink.com/email/d...2006/index.htm

I prefer #12 but less Dickel on the market translates to sadness.

Connoisseur

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by asnigro
    Here is the link to a page that Dickel attached to am email a while ago relating to this topic.

http://www.knowyourdrink.com/email/d...2006/index.htm

I prefer #12 but less Dickel on the market translates to sadness.
    Been a while since I saw any #8 around here. I figured something must be up on the production/supply side. Thanks for the info.
    "All I can say is that I have taken more out of alcohol than it has taken out of me".....Winston Churchill

Keep in mind that Dickel #8 is in the 4-6-year-old range, and that Dickel had a distilling hiatus from 1999 till Fall 2003. Thus, there is no Dickel whiskey in warehouses between 2-1/2 and 6-1/2 years old now -- they are working off of old stock, which is too old for #8 black-label. So, essentially, they would have to be putting the older #12 in #8 bottles, essentially, to continue it currently. What would be the point?
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    There are small bottles of Dickel #8 at Toddy's. I bought one during this visit, frankly I thought it lesser than I recalled it, a little "grainy/earthy" and with that "vitamins" taste some have mentioned earlier. I much prefer the #12.

Gary

Disciple
    Dickel #8 has disappeared from stores in my area of Ohio. The state usually rounds up what is left and sells it in the highest traffic stores when it decides to discontinue something. My local store only had 1.75's that someone had ordered and it looks like they must have stockpiled it. On a trip to Dickel last year, they did mention at the distillery that # 12 had whiskey in it up to 14 years old. I'll bet Diageo is glad they mothballed their plant for 3 years. The tour guide also said they didn't plan to export either. Sounds like these guys are full of bright ideas!

Thomas

Connoisseur

I have only seen 1 store in my area that still has Dickel No. 8 and they only have a few. Maybe I pick up a couple and maybe not.....#12 is the much better, smoother and better balanced product out of Tullahoma, TN.
    "All I can say is that I have taken more out of alcohol than it has taken out of me".....Winston Churchill

Novice
    Went to a Binny's here in the Chicago area and they had plenty of Black Label #8 left. Perhaps the news hasnt spread to the North yet!