Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cocktails again

Hybrid View

Novice

cocktails again

Hi folks,

I've been perusing a few previous cocktail threads, and have two questions for you:

--What is your favorite bourbon cocktail? Of course, I'm well acquainted with the Manhattan, which I make at home (using different ratios of bourbon/vermouth/bitters and, I confess, the syrup the maraschinos come in, depending on my mood/drink function), and I also like making a version of the mint julep, once our mint plants kick it into gear. I also plan on giving the sazarac another chance--the single one I've ever had made for me was just too sweet. (And this, coming from a guy who sometimes uses cherry syrup in his Manhattan.) What are some lesser-known or forgotten bourbon classics?

--What is your favorite non-bourbon cocktail? Again, I must confess to usually ordering a dry vodka martini with olives as an apertif. Good bang for the buck, and it makes a nice appetizer. If I'm feeling like something sweeter, there's a local place that makes what is, essentially, a tequila sidecar. Pretty tasty.

What are you favorites? What's worth checking out?

Advanced Taster
    Not so much a cocktail as a highball, but bourbon and ginger ale is quite good, especially with a good spicy ginger ale. I also mixed bourbon with some sparklig cider, which made for a really refreshing drink.
    I also like the occasional old-fashioned.
    -Sam

Connoisseur
    Spicy ginger ale, any particular brands you like or use?

Cocktail Favorites

For bourbon it's either an old fashioned or a Sazerac. My Sazerac's aren't too sweet.

I wonder what others use for the absinthe part? I use a Pernod wash of the glass.

For non-bourbon cocktails with whiskey it would be the sidecar.

I also like gin very much. A dry martini is a beautiful thing. I also like Negronis. I cut the sweet vermouth in half though. It looks kinda girly, but it's italian and how can anything italian be girly?

My favorite summer drink is the Tom Collins. Half a lemon, gin, soda water. Simple, delicious and a pleasure on the beach.

I'm not much for vodka. Bloody Mary's are about the extent of it.

Advanced Taster
    Aside from bourbon and coke the only bourbon cocktail that I've tried is a Manhattan. I wasn't terribly impressed. May try it again when I can make it myself. Have to find some bitters.

Non-bourbon favorite is an extra dry Martini:

Fill glass with crushed ice and water
    While chilling fill shaker with ice. Add about 1 oz. of dry Vermouth to shaker. Shake a couple of times to coat ice then discard.
    Add gin to shaker (Beefeater or Saphire preferably)
    Shake and strain into glass (after discarding ice and water)
    Add two olives and 1 tsp (maybe) of olive juice
    Tom Sangster
    Winterville, GA

Guru
    I generally drink my bourbon straight but my wife likes hers with cranberry juice.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Enthusiast
    Bourbon Old Fahioned is my only cocktail to be honest. For a change try it with lime instead of orange - it really works well.
    Philip

I guess good whiskey really does tickle my pickle!

Guru
    Here's one I like. It was available at Trader Joe's in CA. Can't find it since I moved from the big city. Tried Vernor's last week. It's too sweet for my taste.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Guru

Red face

My Sazerac cocktails are always too sweet. I like them too sweet.

I recently started making my own Manhattan cocktails and they are very nice. Every Manhattan I ever ordered in a bar was basically undrinkable. I honestly don't think there are many real bartenders left, anymore, just guys who can slop together a bunch of mamby pamby crap. I guess mamby pamby crap is what sells, these days.

I like a good dry martini made with good gin. Tom Collins, again made with gin.

I like rum drinks in the summer. Myers's Planters Punch, daquiri cocktail (NOT frozen), Hemingway daquiri (no sugar, just rum, lime, and lots of ice). I love pina coladas too much.

I even imagine I would still enjoy a rusty nail, but I haven't had one in probably over thirty years.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Enthusiast
    I'm relatively new to bourbon cocktails. For now, I like mint julep very much. And sometimes I prefer to mix bourbon with tonic water (Schwepps) on the rocks, with a sice of lime. I'll try some others during the summer.