Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Novice

How do you drink it?

I'd be most interested to know how you prefer to drink your Bourbon, straight, with water, over ice, type of glass preferred to get the best aromatics etc. You'll have to excuse me as I'm a Brit that has only recently discovered the pleasure of Bourbon. When Scotch was my favorite indulgence I always took it with a little spring water, but currently I like my Bourbon over ice, I let cool right down and get a little melt water in it prior to sipping. mmmmmm

Novice

Re: How do you drink it?

I generally prefer mine like I do my Scotch, neat, or straight. I'll add a little bottled water to the Cask Strength ones to bring out a little more flavor.

But, as Jim Cryle from Glenlivet once told me, "It's not how you drink it, just that you drink and enjoy it."

Everybody is different.

Cheers,

Tony

Guru

I like mine neat, in a brandy snifter. The only time I add a splash of water is for the high proof stuff over about 110.
    Joe

Enthusiast

Neat in a brandy snifter typically but lately I've been enjoying it in a lowball glass as well. The lowball glass makes it harder for the kids to knock over when they run around the house.

Connoisseur

I like mine neat in a brandy snifter at room temperature. I never add water, I never add ice. Water and ice in my opinion ruin the taste of the bourbon. I really enjoy that thick ritch flavor you get from drinking it straight. Oh ya...that slight burn isn't bad either...

Apprentice

In a shot glass, under the tongue, roll it from the tip to the back, down the hatch. Like a man.

Advanced Taster

It depends on my mood. Generally I like it on one cube of ice in a lowball glass. Recently I've aquired a liking for it neat in a bandy snifter (see the Glasswear Poll thread under Paraphernalia). I don't own anything over 101 proof (except that Spring '05 Stagg I got last week that isn't open yet), so I find there is no excessive burn drinking it neat.

Advanced Taster

On the rare occasions i drink my spring stagg, ill take it neat. Id say for any bottling, ill drink it neat 95% of the time. but when i do go for ice, its always for the first tasting of the night.
    at clubs here in japan, they only have crap Four Roses, IW Harper and Beam white so ill take it with ice thank you very much!

Advanced Taster

I drink all whisk(e)y neat, preferably in a brandy snifter. I prefer a simple snifter over any other glassware, even the Riedel bourbon glasses. No ice, ever. Occasionally a tiny bit of water with cask-strength Scotch, but I never add water to bourbon.

Connoisseur

Medium sized Cognac snifter (for optimal nosing experience).

Water only added if stronger than around 107 proof (only very small amounts) or if I, for instance, try three 101 proof whiskeys in a row.

Someone mentioned room temperature. The importance of this cannot be overstated. Patience is a virtue!