Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wild Turkey Rye

Guru

Wild Turkey Rye

While on a recent trip to Nashville, we happened to pick up a bottle of WT rye. <font color="red"> WOW </font> It was super and only about 20 bucks. Unfortunately this is yet another thing not for sale in Pennsylvania. Too bad.
    Joe

Disciple

Re: Wild Turkey Rye

I agree Joe. WT Rye is on my always have a bottle list.
    Ed

Connoisseur

While on a recent trip to Nashville, we happened to pick up a bottle of WT rye. <font color="red"> WOW </font> It was super and only about 20 bucks. Unfortunately this is yet another thing not for sale in Pennsylvania. Too bad.
    Joe
    We have it in Ohio if you're on that side of the state.

Ken

Connoisseur

I prefer the Rittenhouse, but when it's not available, I sure won't turn down some WT rye.

Enthusiast

THANK YOU...THANK YOU!!! If it wasn't for the members of this forum, I would not have picked up Wild Turkey Rye. It is now very clear what rye tastes like in a bourbon and I love it! Now, what would be the next step up in rye from Wild Turkey? Also, since Buffalo Trace makes the Antique Collection Sazerac, do they have a non-antique rye they sell that I don't know about?

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

The new younger Sazerac is supposed to be coming soon, real soon.

Enthusiast

Well, one good thing about a focus on rye is that you don't have to worry too much about whether you're getting a good sampling of the upper shelf, mid-shelf, etc. Just buy whatever you find. There just aren't that many bottlings. I've looked high and low and have maybe half a dozen. If you're in KY or a mail-order state, it will be better, but still not like you've got to/can buy 30 bottles. But of what I have (no VW's), the 18 yr. Saz is the one that is distinctly "up" from WT rye, or just about any other whiskey I've had.
    Bob

Enthusiast

Price-wise, going up-market from WT means Sazerac, Van Winkle, or maybe a Classic Cask offering. Some places may still have the Michter's 10 year old, although it is getting expensive nowadays.

But, while the more expensive ryes are certainly quality whiskies, the cheaper ryes are still pretty good. Rittenhouse BIB can hold its own in just about any company, and last I saw it was under $15 a bottle. I've seen Old Overholt (which I think is pretty good) for under $10, which must be the best bargain in all of whiskeydom.

There aren't that many ryes on the market, but on the other hand they are all pretty different from each other. My recollection is that Wild Turkey and Rittenhouse were furthest (in different directions) off the mainstream.

Enthusiast

The new Sazerac Rye will be 6 - 7 years old, bottled at 90 proof, and the production run is scheduled for the week after Thanksgiving.

Ken

Connoisseur

Had a fun experience yesterday. Was on my way back to NYC from eastern PA and on a whim, decided to drive through the downtown of a little western NJ town. Wasn't much there, but I spotted a brand new gourmet shop in an old building and decided to look in. The guy's shop had only been open five days and he was so proud of all the work he'd done to restore the tin ceiling and walls, hard wood floors, etc. Lo and behold, he had three old bottles of Wild Turkey Rye that he had absorbed from the stock of the previous owners who had been there for 40 yrs. These were bottles from '92 with the old green label. They reminded me of the first bottle of rye I ever bought, so I picked them up. More a nostalgia trip than anything, but I think I might taste them against the current bottling just to see if there's any difference. I do love this whiskey and that goofy looking old turkey is great.

Cheers.