Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

New rye whiskeys

Accompanying the rye whiskey renaissance are a clutch of interesting whiskeys, some unaged or aged only a short time. At Tim's rye whiskey tasting during the recent Sampler, he offered Isaiha Morgan rye whiskey. I found this one of the most interesting whiskeys tasted during this trip. It had a very appetizing, "juicy" taste yet was neither sweet nor (very) aged. It is hard to describe the taste but everyone who tried it liked it. I would think it is the type of whiskey that may represent the best of the old moonshine recipes. I could see drinking this cool or cold (but not iced) before dinner. Recommended.

Another rye whiskey, soon to appear and discussed here last year, is Templeton rye. See www.templetonrye.com. This is distilled in a copper pot still and is a recreation or perhaps evocation of a Prohibition-era illicit recipe famed for its quality. So it's got some interesting historical imagery behind it. The product is still being aged and according to Internet information I found will be released this summer but apparently early samples were essayed at the San Francisco whiskey Expo last year. I know some people on the board attended that event, does anyone recall tasting this whiskey? What was it like?

Rye is coming back and of course Sazerac's 6-7 year old rye is an example.

That Fleischmann's rye Lenell brought was excellent. I felt it was better than, say, Jim Beam rye (which isn't bad, but just not as good). For some reason Fleischmann's rye is sold in Wisconsin only. One hopes stocks will be made available elsewhere.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 05-03-2006 at 02:08.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillman
    For some reason Fleischmann's rye is sold in Wisconsin only. One hopes stocks will be made available elsewhere.
    My understanding from a posting here is that it is being discontinued entirely.

I suppose I could search for that post.

I find it very similar to Beam in style but different in detail. I like it a lot.

Jeff
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Advanced Taster
    Once whiskey drinkers find out that ryes are often softer and sweeter than bourbon, the stuff should really take off.
    In many ways, products like Old Overholt and JB Rye are the whiskeys I wish I'd known about in college. I think they're extremely accesible to non-whiskey drinkers, and I like to keep one of them around for cocktails and a change of pace.
    -Sam

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Certainly rye is a change of pace. The Beam ryes don't really do it for me although I always have Overholt in stock and will buy Jim Beam's rye when I next see it because, i) I want to support rye sales, ii) occasionally I enjoy them, iii) I use them in cocktails and for blending where I really appreciate them. For neat sampling, on the younger side, I like Michter's Straight Rye Whiskey and WT's rye. On the older side, Michter's 10 year old rye (which in fact is much older) is very good amongst others. I did not recall that someone said Fleischmann's rye may exit the market, if so that would be a pity because it is very good, a good alternative in the younger-end rye category. It is interesting how (and I am thinking of what Roger said today in a thread on export WT) the whiskeys in the bottle seemingly can change from time to time. Tim at Gazebo had an Overholt that was from the later 90's marked Clermont as the bottles are today but the contents seemed quite different than today's Overholt, softer, richer, older, more subtle, without the "oats-like" note of current Overholt. Maybe it was the same recipe but just aged longer. So they change over time too (sometimes), and I like to try them periodically to see if this has occurred. I am convinced current WT rye for example is the best ever bottled under that name, at least in the last 20 years.

Gary

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffRenner
    My understanding from a posting here is that it is being discontinued entirely.

I suppose I could search for that post.

I find it very similar to Beam in style but different in detail. I like it a lot.

Jeff
    That would be sad. During the Barton's tour at the Sampler, Greg Davis did confirm that VOB BIB is going away, at least for the short term, due to low stocks. We gave him a hard time about the limited availability of Fleischmann's Rye. He did not mention anything about it going away.
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

Enthusiast
    At the Binny's pre-Whiskeyfest event I was talking to the Barton sales rep, who did say the Fleishmann's is only sold in Wisconsin but didn't say anything about it being dropped. Although, I don't know that he would have volunteered the information if he knew.

Connoisseur
    While in Iowa today, I happened to be looking along the bottom shelf, low and behold, Fleischmann's rye! I spent all of 2 seconds trying to decide whether or not to buy it after I noticed it was a WHOPPING $6.98 with TAX. Haven't popped the top yet, probably will tonight.

Mark/Nebraska

Apprentice
    I bought a bottle of JB Rye for a friend a few years back as a joke. It was so cheap and all. Wow. I've kept a bottle on the shelf just about ever since. It was surprisingly smooth and sweet for a $10 bottle. Haven't tried the Overholt yet. Might get to that tonight.
    DahlRod

Advanced Taster
    Let us know what you think of the Old Overholt. I like it a bit more than the Beam Rye. Good cheap whiskey is a beautiful thing.
    I think I'll "splurge" on the WT Rye for my next bottle, though I am more of a drinker than a collector.
    -Sam

Taster
    Picked up a bottle of Old Overholt, and WT Rye today, Wow!! They couldn't be more different. Why so? More than just a difference in mash bills? I love the spicy peppery taste of the WT. Love the strong side of rye in bourbons also.