Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey River
    Picked up a bottle of Old Overholt, and WT Rye today, Wow!! They couldn't be more different. Why so? More than just a difference in mash bills? I love the spicy peppery taste of the WT. Love the strong side of rye in bourbons also.
    I think a lot of that has to do with the difference in proof, 21 is a pretty large difference. Imagine diluting that WT by about 20% and I think they'd be closer, but I also think there may be an age difference - I suspect the WT is aged a bit longer. And well, quite simply WT Rye is just a very good rye hands down, that's not to say OO is bad because I like it also.

If you like those two I highly recomend Sazerac (junior), that has become one of my favorite whiskeys.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Taster
    Good point on the proof difference. OO reminds me (slightly) of EWSB, and the WT is allot like WT 101 with more pepper. I enjoy both.

I've been looking, but can't seem to find Sazerac in my area. I also would like to get my hands on a bottle of VWFR 13yr.

Thanks for your recomendation and imput!

Steve

----------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey River
    I've been looking, but can't seem to find Sazerac in my area. I also would like to get my hands on a bottle of VWFR 13yr.
    Where is your area? You should update your profile so it shows there your location...
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Connoisseur
    Has anyone here tried the new Hirsch 21?? Opinions??

Ken (who thinks WT Rye is the BEST rye (Sorry Ken W))
    "Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary. "

Connoisseur
    I haven't visited it in a while, not because I don't like it. It's pretty pricey. I don't regret buying it and have contemplated a second bottle. Bottom line is though, Sazerac at $50 has more character and zing than $110 Hirsch.

I'm probably going to try the Rittenhouse 21, the HH and the Thomas Handy when available. It irks me to spend that kind of money, but I do like my Rye whiskey.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska
    It irks me to spend that kind of money, but I do like my Rye whiskey.
    Me too. And I agree totally. None of the "high end" Ryes I've tried measure up to WT which is quite reasonably priced.

Ken
    "Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary. "

Connoisseur
    I'm going to lend a big approval rating to the WT rye.

Great price (less than $20 here) and a Very good pour for the price point! That and Rittenhouse BIB you can't beat for bang for buck.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Guru

Re: New rye whiskeys

Yesterday I spied several bottles of Templeton Rye on the shelf of a
    Hy-Vee Wine and Spirits in Davenport IA. $32 and some change for an 80 proofer I might have bought a fifth if It was a few bucks cheaper and bottled at 90 or above. Dang, why are so many whiskeys watered all the way down to the legal minimum?

I would be interested in reading anyones opinion of this whiskey before I plunk down 30 plus dollars for a bottle.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Good catch! That is one of the very few new rye whiskeys in America since the 1930's, i.e., made by a new distillery.

See www.templetonrye.com. The whiskey is a single barrel and has a lovely color. I suspect it is aged a couple of years or so. The still pictured seems to be a combination pot and column still.

There was a young rye whiskey put out in West Virginia some years ago by a gentleman who has since passed away (Rodney Facemire); to my knowledge the Tempelton rye is only the second new release of a rye whiskey since the 1930's, again in the sense of being made by a new distillery.

Who will be the first to review it?

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 12-31-2006 at 13:44.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Together with the aforementioned rye whiskey from West Virginia and the forthcoming (very soon) Hudson Baby Bourbon of New York State, this new Tempelton rye inaugurates the era of micro-distilled bourbon and rye whiskey.

I am excited!

Gary