Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Administrator in exile

BOTM, 5/06: 1792 Ridgemont Reserve

The initial release of this month's BOTM caused quite a stir in the bourbon industry. While many new brands need years of product placement and marketing to insure widespread success, this bourbon catapulted quickly onto the radar with instant notoriety gained from a trademark dispute with Brown-Foreman. Although ultimately unsuccessfull in court--the name was changed and the styling tweeked--the quality of the contents remain the same. This month's Straightbourbon.com Bourbon of the Month is:

1792 Ridgemont Reserve

The friendly folks at Barton have been generous to the members of Straightboubon.com by granting access to their rarely-seen distillery and rickhouses. I was reminded again at the recent Bourbon Festival Sampler of what an excellent bourbon this is. Not simply honey-barrels of VOB, 1792 is a unique product that stands out in the crowd.

Now what do you think?

Sound off
    Last edited by jeff; 05-04-2006 at 04:08.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Guru
    I agree with you Jeff, I think 1792 is a decent bourbon. I especially liked the barrel proof version that Greg Davis gave us when we toured Barton this past Sampler. That whiskey was one of the best whiskies I have ever tasted. Now if they only bottled Barrel Proof 1792.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Administrator in exile
    If that's the same barrel we tasted from in September, you're right it's fantastic. It's my understanding that 1792 is a mingling of that "1792" mashbill and the VOB mashbill, so I guess they can't do a true 1792 single barrel.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

I'll say this for you, Jeff -- you keep costing me money with the BOTM . In this case, I have the choice of either going out and buying what will be a $30+ bourbon after sales tax, or opening a 'collectible' first issue which brought $80+ the last time I sold/traded one (SHHHH!!!) -- it's the only version I have in the house. I've never bought the Ridge'mont' label.
    Tim

Novice
    Jeff, how ironic! Twice last week I almost bought this bottle. I've seen markedly differing reviews on it but I held off. Now I have a reason.......................

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon
    ...I have the choice of...opening a 'collectible' first issue which brought $80+ the last time I sold/traded one (SHHHH!!!) -- it's the only version I have in the house. I've never bought the Ridge'mont' label.
    I failed to mention that I thought the early version was excellent -- and available under $25. It was, I thought, the best thing Barton has issued. It seems to have taken a price hike, at least in Middle Tennessee, since issue.
    Tim

Enthusiast
    I haven't had this in a while. My recollection is that when I first sampled it, fairly early in my bourbon explorations, I thought "really good." After trying a bunch of other stuff and revisiting the back half of the Rodgemont bottle, I concluded "pleasant, but not much more." I think of it as a good pour but without any particular distinction; sort of middle-of-the-road in profile. Probably need to pick up another bottle.

Bob

Apprentice

Price?

I have a dozen unopened bottles of very nice bourbon that I was hoping that BOTM would tell me which one to open. Unfortunately this isn't one and I haven't seen it at any of my local stores. What price should it go for (I'm in Dallas).
    Better a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon
    I failed to mention that I thought the early version was excellent -- and available under $25. It was, I thought, the best thing Barton has issued. It seems to have taken a price hike, at least in Middle Tennessee, since issue.
    Is the to say Tim, that the newer version is not as good? I know, I'll judge for myself this weekend after I pick one up and get over this little bit of a nagging sore throat and cold!........ Or I might just try to kill the cold with high proof whiskey!!!
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life
    Is the to say Tim, that the newer version is not as good? I know, I'll judge for myself this weekend after I pick one up and get over this little bit of a nagging sore throat and cold!........ Or I might just try to kill the cold with high proof whiskey!!!
    I don't know if it's any better than the current one -- I had an original one open when the lawsuit ruling came down, and discovered another with a split wood stopper, so opened it. Those are the only two I've tasted. I've never bought the current one.
    I did taste it at the recent Sampler in Bardstown and thought it pretty good, but I'm not in any hurry to buy another bottle of anything, what with the open bottles I brought back with me from tastings:
    Attachment 2680
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 05-05-2006 at 19:06.
    Tim