Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator in exile

BOTM, 5/06: 1792 Ridgemont Reserve

The initial release of this month's BOTM caused quite a stir in the bourbon industry. While many new brands need years of product placement and marketing to insure widespread success, this bourbon catapulted quickly onto the radar with instant notoriety gained from a trademark dispute with Brown-Foreman. Although ultimately unsuccessfull in court--the name was changed and the styling tweeked--the quality of the contents remain the same. This month's Straightbourbon.com Bourbon of the Month is:

1792 Ridgemont Reserve

The friendly folks at Barton have been generous to the members of Straightboubon.com by granting access to their rarely-seen distillery and rickhouses. I was reminded again at the recent Bourbon Festival Sampler of what an excellent bourbon this is. Not simply honey-barrels of VOB, 1792 is a unique product that stands out in the crowd.

Now what do you think?

Sound off
    Last edited by jeff; 05-04-2006 at 04:08.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Guru
    I agree with you Jeff, I think 1792 is a decent bourbon. I especially liked the barrel proof version that Greg Davis gave us when we toured Barton this past Sampler. That whiskey was one of the best whiskies I have ever tasted. Now if they only bottled Barrel Proof 1792.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Administrator in exile
    If that's the same barrel we tasted from in September, you're right it's fantastic. It's my understanding that 1792 is a mingling of that "1792" mashbill and the VOB mashbill, so I guess they can't do a true 1792 single barrel.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

I'll say this for you, Jeff -- you keep costing me money with the BOTM . In this case, I have the choice of either going out and buying what will be a $30+ bourbon after sales tax, or opening a 'collectible' first issue which brought $80+ the last time I sold/traded one (SHHHH!!!) -- it's the only version I have in the house. I've never bought the Ridge'mont' label.
    Tim

Novice
    Jeff, how ironic! Twice last week I almost bought this bottle. I've seen markedly differing reviews on it but I held off. Now I have a reason.......................

Guru
    Hi Time has this on sale for $23.99.

(They also have Elmer T Lee on sale for $20.99 and HP 12, an overseas spirit, for $29.99. Ask me how I know all of this. )

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Quote Originally Posted by bluesbassdad
    Hi Time has this on sale for $23.99.

(They also have Elmer T Lee on sale for $20.99 and HP 12, an overseas spirit, for $29.99. Ask me how I know all of this. )

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    How DO you know all of this Dave? Checking the website or are you in town?

Either way I appreciate the info as I was going to go to another favorite spot of mine and spend a dollar or two more, every dollar saved is a dollar towards a different bottle... I'll pick it up this weekend.

You didn't mention though that those ETLs are from two single barrels they chose, just wish they would have labeled them properly so I'd know which is which ...
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Guru
    Christian,

To answer your question, it's all Jeff's fault. The BOTM is one that is not only not presently on my shelf, I've never tasted it. Furthermore, I'd bet there's not a bottle in the State of Arizona, much less in my little corner of the high desert.

Those circumstances led me to visit the Hi Time website. When I saw that the Ridgemont was on sale, I knew I couldn't stop at ordering just one bottle. I scrolled through all their whisk(e)y lists looking for bargains. Finding a couple of my favorite pours on sale sealed the deal.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Last edited by bluesbassdad; 05-04-2006 at 21:19.
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Connoisseur
    I think I've mentioned before - this is the only bourbon I've tried since I started drinking bourbon - that I actively disliked. It was over a year ago when I bought a bottle and I was excited to see something new on the shelf. But I thought it was harsh and unpleasant. Some bourbons aren't very interesting, but this was not at all enjoyable. I paid about $25 if I remember correctly.

Craig

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff
    The friendly folks at Barton have been generous to the members of Straightboubon.com by granting access to their rarely-seen distillery and rickhouses. I was reminded again at the recent Bourbon Festival Sampler of what an excellent bourbon this is. Not simply honey-barrels of VOB, 1792 is a unique product that stands out in the crowd.
    Jeff,

This is good information! I have had big problems with Bartonís in my planning for my September Kentucky visit. They nether have tourist roundabouts nor answering email or letters. If they do grant access to their rarely-seen distillery and rickhouse for SB.com members I would like to know home to contact and how to do it. By the way. I have had the same problem with Brown Forman and Willet.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey