Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur
    Picked up a bottle at one of my favorite stops today and hazaa, it was on sale.

I really like the bottle itself, nice design. The thick base of the bottle mimics what I like in my drinking glassware.

As for the pour itself, I found it to be pleasant, not over-powering, but pleasant. I can see this being another Summer pour.

The nose (or my nose anyway) seemed like butterscotch candy, maybe with a little spice drop added in. One of the more agreeable inviting aromas that I have sensed in bourbon.

First sip and entry is smooth and even somewhat cool. sliding into orange transitioning to a hint of lemon and finally candied fruit. There's another distinct flavor I'm getting half way through, but I apologize I am unable to put a label on it.

This is something I will be revisiting and probably buying an extra bottle of. I'm not sure that I could call this a top 10 for me, but it certainly is not a bottom 20.

Thank you for picking this as BOTM. I would have not been tasting this anytime soon or at all, if it had not been for this activity.

Mark/Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon
    ...I have the choice of...opening a 'collectible' first issue which brought $80+ the last time I sold/traded one (SHHHH!!!) -- it's the only version I have in the house. I've never bought the Ridge'mont' label.
    I failed to mention that I thought the early version was excellent -- and available under $25. It was, I thought, the best thing Barton has issued. It seems to have taken a price hike, at least in Middle Tennessee, since issue.
    Tim

Enthusiast
    I haven't had this in a while. My recollection is that when I first sampled it, fairly early in my bourbon explorations, I thought "really good." After trying a bunch of other stuff and revisiting the back half of the Rodgemont bottle, I concluded "pleasant, but not much more." I think of it as a good pour but without any particular distinction; sort of middle-of-the-road in profile. Probably need to pick up another bottle.

Bob

Apprentice

Price?

I have a dozen unopened bottles of very nice bourbon that I was hoping that BOTM would tell me which one to open. Unfortunately this isn't one and I haven't seen it at any of my local stores. What price should it go for (I'm in Dallas).
    Better a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Connoisseur
    Probably close to $25 to $30, mine was $26.49.

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon
    I failed to mention that I thought the early version was excellent -- and available under $25. It was, I thought, the best thing Barton has issued. It seems to have taken a price hike, at least in Middle Tennessee, since issue.
    Is the to say Tim, that the newer version is not as good? I know, I'll judge for myself this weekend after I pick one up and get over this little bit of a nagging sore throat and cold!........ Or I might just try to kill the cold with high proof whiskey!!!
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life
    Is the to say Tim, that the newer version is not as good? I know, I'll judge for myself this weekend after I pick one up and get over this little bit of a nagging sore throat and cold!........ Or I might just try to kill the cold with high proof whiskey!!!
    I don't know if it's any better than the current one -- I had an original one open when the lawsuit ruling came down, and discovered another with a split wood stopper, so opened it. Those are the only two I've tasted. I've never bought the current one.
    I did taste it at the recent Sampler in Bardstown and thought it pretty good, but I'm not in any hurry to buy another bottle of anything, what with the open bottles I brought back with me from tastings:
    Attachment 2680
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 05-05-2006 at 19:06.
    Tim

Connoisseur
    I really like this one. I have to add, though, that this assessment stems from just one bottle, bought just after christmas, so it feels fairly new to me.

I´m sure that many of the Stagg devotees of this world dismisses this Bourbon as bland and undemanding but I feel that the Bourbon world must prove itself on many flavour arenas.

To me, Ridgemont fits into the same mould as EWSB and Four Roses. Best suited for a warm summer evening, perhaps?

As for the tasting notes : I found Mark´s to be really on the spot. You almost took the words straight out of my mouth!

To satisfy my curiousity : do the tasting notes on the handwritten back label differ? On my bottle it says : "RICH FLAVOR, VELVETY", Warehouse Z (or possibly 7).

P.S Tim, for some reason, that attachment of yours does not work for me.
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Guru

It was a gift!

My impressions of this bottle come guilt free considering my loving wife found it and brought it home last month. After tasting it I can say that although it has it's moments I can't seem to like it. Especially when I compare it price wise to some others.

There are just too many other better tasting pours that I can find for less money. 1792 is $29 here in my town.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

On Sale!

Well, how do you do! I hadn't tried this BOTM and when I visited the ABC store I found that it was on sale for $23.95. Bingo!

As others have stated it is on the lighter side. A nice sweetness on the front of the tongue and cinnimon on the back. Not overly complex and I wouldn 't say it's in my top 5, but very drinkable. Comparable to Woodford Reserve IMO.

I'll be keeping it on hand when I'm in the mood for an easy drinking pour or for newbies to drinking bourbon neat.