Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Geo
    Ok, I had to buy a bottle. It is not my cup of tea for sure. A bit to Rye and not sweet enough. I would not by another bottle. On a scale of 1-10, I would give it a 5.
    Give it another try in a day or so. You might get a better feeling the second time around. I was a little surprised on the first pour....it was a bit better than expected. The second time around was even a little better. I would not rate it in the top 10-20% - but I would give it a 7 out of 10 IMHO.
    "All I can say is that I have taken more out of alcohol than it has taken out of me".....Winston Churchill

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ProofPositive
    Give it another try in a day or so. You might get a better feeling the second time around. I was a little surprised on the first pour....it was a bit better than expected. The second time around was even a little better. I would not rate it in the top 10-20% - but I would give it a 7 out of 10 IMHO.
    If you ever tasted it "straight out of the barrel", as I did on a recent tour of Barton, You'd probably give it an 11. It was, IMHO, one of the finest whiskies I have ever tasted (and that would be a lot!!).
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Connoisseur

Question

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe
    If you ever tasted it "straight out of the barrel", as I did on a recent tour of Barton, You'd probably give it an 11. It was, IMHO, one of the finest whiskies I have ever tasted (and that would be a lot!!).
    Joe
    I'll take your word for it. You certainly qualify as much more of an expert than me! Is it common to get a taste straight out of the barrel at Barton....and, for that matter, any other distilleries? Just wondering. That may qualify as a semi-dumb question - but, I have never toured a distillery. I hope to do a few in the near future though.
    "All I can say is that I have taken more out of alcohol than it has taken out of me".....Winston Churchill

Novice
    Turns out previous to reading this thread I bought this because it looked decent and was on sale for $19.99...turns out it was a great choice - really enjoying this bourbon. Similar to Jack Daniels only in my opinion a bit smoother. Excellent sipping bourbon, good on the rocks or with your choice of beverage if you so please.

Enjoy everyone.

Brian

Connoisseur
    Interesting that at least two people make comparisons to JD. I have to try my RiRe together with JD single barrel next time I pick it out from the cupboard.

Again, I wonder about the handwritten tasting notes on the back label. On my bottle it says "Rich flavor, velvety".

Does any one else have something different written on theirs?
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Connoisseur

Tasting Notes

I haven't had any of the 1792, does anyone have any tasting notes or comments they'd like to share?

Connoisseur
    The 2nd page of this thread has tasting notes.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Connoisseur
    Thanks, it sounds great

Guru
    I've sipped at this bourbon a couple of times earlier in the month. Tonight I put on my taster's cap, such as it is, and went to work.

Bottom line: I do not enjoy this bourbon. I will not buy another bottle when this one is finally gone. With all the other enjoyable bourbons at hand, I can't imagine when I will reach for this one again.

The nose is actually quite pleasant for the most part, even though meager. Mostly I get pale, sweet aromas, akin to cotton candy or vanilla. A touch of something very harsh, acetone would hardly be an overstatement, came and went.

It's all downhill from there. The palate is thin and harsh. It took a while to recall what it reminds me of. It's Jefferson's Reserve, the one I once likened to shavings from a No. 2 pencil -- wood, paint and all.

The finish quickly turns dry, acrid and bitter.

Perhaps that cork was trying to warn me away.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Last edited by bluesbassdad; 06-01-2006 at 01:34.
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Taster
    First post here! I recently finished a bottle of 1972 and have the following notes:

• The bottle was fantastic...nice weight
    • The nose had strong wet leather and oaky smell...almost musty
    • Fairly smooth with complex overtones of candied spice, toffee, and faint vanilla - rye is definately present
    • Purchased for $24.99 at the local ABC

Overall, I'd give it a 7 out of 10.