Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Guru
    B.C.,

Welcome aboard. You will find lots of friendly, knowledgeable folks here. The forums can become addictive, as my experience proves. If I had to give up either bourbon or StraightBourbon.com, I'm not sure which one I would choose.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Taster

tasting the 1792 ridgemont reserve

I'm new to bourbon tasting and have only been visiting the forums for a month or so. I decided to try the BOTM and, after several pours, I have not been disappointed. Since my prior experience is limited to sporadic tastings, I cannot offer comparisons. However, I have been enjoying the nose and the taste very much. Interestingly, during the first pour and after several sips, I did notice a slightly unpleasant after taste -not sure how to describe it. Perhaps related to the meal I had eaten that night, but I have not really noticed it since.

I can't wait to try future BOTMs and expand my experience with good bourbon. My wife is not so sure about this new hobby.....

Connoisseur
    I've revisited this a half dozen times over a months period and still like what I taste. As I originally said, I'm glad it was the BOTM, other wise it would have been quite a while before I ever got around to it.

As far as your wife goes, you can tell her, "I really enjoy activities that keep me at home with you".

Now after she hits you in the head and asks you where you got that lame line, you can use the excuse of taking a pour of bourbon for medicinal purposes.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Taster
    I should really try to get her into the bourbon as well...

As for tasting...one of the things I have picked up on in these forums is that one really needs to have several pours before forming an opinion about the bottle. I don't think that is a negative...after all, that seems a good excuse for more drinking. I am looking forward to a head-to-head tasting with the June BOTM, Pappy Van Winkle 15 yo.

So many bourbons, so little time....

Enthusiast
    Hello everyone! It has been a long time since I have visited. I won't bore you with the details, but I'm back...I hope the old-timers are fairing well, and welcome to the newcomers whatever your (bourbon) experience level is! I look forward to catching up with you all...maybe we can get back into the groove of sharing experiences, and trading out some good pours again...you guys know who I'm talking about. Anyways, I have moved to Kansas City, MO and am enjoying a Ridgemont Reserve on the rocks, and smoking a Partagas Spanish Rosado....tough, but somebody has to do it...Y'all give me a holler. See ya, Hollywood

Advanced Taster

Re: BOTM, 5/06: 1792 Ridgemont Reserve

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    If that's the same barrel we tasted from in September, you're right it's fantastic. It's my understanding that 1792 is a mingling of that "1792" mashbill and the VOB mashbill, so I guess they can't do a true 1792 single barrel.
    re-barrel them toghether, then you got the only twice barreled single barrel! seems very possibe to me.
    "Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
    W.C. Fields (1880-1946)

Guru

I don't see why they could not produce a 1792 "single barrel" from the striaght 1792 mash bill. It would not have to be the same as the regular 1792 because it is a single barrel.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Advanced Taster

I did not care much for 1792 Ridgemont Reserve, except the pretty bottle.
    "A glass a day keeps the doctor away"
    Sincerely,
    George

Advanced Taster

I'm on my second bottle of 1792. Stuff is so smooth, its easy to drink too much of it. Velvety definitely, rich I don't know about. The taste is weaker than WR, but there is very little burn. $17.99 + tax here in Montgomery County, Md., where it used to be a special order item, but is now regularly stocked.

As for the bottle: it's pretty cool. The burlap helps prevent any drips from reaching the table. Of course, drops that escape my glass only occur when I've had too many...
    Last edited by Solomon2; 01-08-2007 at 19:45.

Disciple

I know this is a little late. IIRC from the tour....1792 is a small batch of about 40 barrels, all from warehouse z. Z is located to the north and west of the distillery, right next to the creek and the newwer bridge.
    All barrels come from z, and are of the same mash bill. Most other Barton labels have batches over 80 barrels. The barrel proof version, I was lucky enough to taste, had flavors of apple and bannana. I noted to Ken Pierce, that there seemed to be less barrel char than other bottles of 1792. He claimed that they adjust that within the batch. I believe that the youngest bourbon in the bottle is 8 years.
    Also, Sam Cecils son works on thier bottling line. Lots of other employees have been there for 30-40 years.
    Jeff M.