Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Thumbs up Rittenhouse Rye-Best of Category-Double Gold

Our Rittenhouse Rye won "Best of Category" trophy in the 2006 SF World Spirits Competition which means it captures a "Double Gold" medal and is also selected as the best among the Double Gold medal winners in that category

The (Rittenhouse Rye) $13.00 average retail price beat out "Bookers ($50) Old Forester BB ($35) A.H. Hirsch ($80) Crown Royal XX ($125) George T. Stagg ($50) Pappy VanWinkle Family Reserve ($85)...

This is a hard to find bourbon that is about to become "alot" harder to find

I have touted this whiskey for quite some time

Stay tuned----> Rittenhouse Rare Reserve, Single Barrel, 21 years old<---hopefully...in September Limited quantities.

Bettye Jo
    Last edited by boone; 04-01-2006 at 21:17.
    Colonel Bettye Jo Boone
    Industrial Maintenance
    Technician/Journeyperson
    Heaven Hill Distilleries
    Bardstown, Kentucky

Bettye Jo, this was the only 'must-get' I'd planned for my recent Chicago excursion. Alas, I managed only 4 bottles instead of the case I'd planned because of space limitations and some other 'finds' earlier in the week. Still, am always glad to procure more Rittenhouse BIB.
    As for the 21yo rye, Craig Beam offered a bottle at 100 proof -- apparently the proof at which it will be commercially bottled -- to Mitch at Twisted Spoke Wednesday during its event related to WhiskyFest. It didn't last the night, of course, as Mitch poured it to all comers, but the SB.com'ers present all snarfed at least a couple of pours apiece before it disappeared. Mighty good stuff!
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 04-01-2006 at 20:40.
    Tim

Virtuoso
    Rittenhouse Rye BIB - No trip to Salt Lake City is complete without it!

Connoisseur
    Congrats Bettye Jo to you and HH! I picked up the last two bottles (at least as far as I could tell) in WA. about a month ago and have yet to open them. I am waiting for a little Rye Tasting this summer with some friends. I noticed at the store a few weeks ago, they also have an 80 proof version? I picked up one of those as well. I look forward to giving them a try.
    Todd

Connoisseur
    congrats! I have some Rittenhouse on the way and can't wait to try it!
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

Is This the same stuff that just took home the award that Jeff posted, no? "Rittenhouse Rye Whisky wins prestigious “North American Whiskey of the Year” trophy at San francisco world spirits competition" Or is this all the same award? Either way, apparently Cali isn't the only place it is not available as Tim mentioned having to go to Chicago to get some.

Idaho lists it at a whole $11.10, I think I need to make a road trop over there next time I am in Oregon.....
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Guru
    From what I know, a whiskey must first win "double gold". Then all the double golds are judged and the winner becomes the "whiskey of the year". A great honor for Rittenhouse and Heaven Hill.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Connoisseur
    you can order it online from Binnys for about $11 plus shipping, but there is no CA sales tax so it's a decent deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life
    Is This the same stuff that just took home the award that Jeff posted, no? "Rittenhouse Rye Whisky wins prestigious “North American Whiskey of the Year” trophy at San francisco world spirits competition" Or is this all the same award? Either way, apparently Cali isn't the only place it is not available as Tim mentioned having to go to Chicago to get some.

Idaho lists it at a whole $11.10, I think I need to make a road trop over there next time I am in Oregon.....

Just buy it, wherever you can get it. Whatever shipping is, it's still going to cost a lot less than some other whiskeys you don't like as much.
    If you don't like it, I'll buy it from ya.
    Tim

Connoisseur
    yup, had my first pour tonight. I'm going to have to order some more.

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon
    Just buy it, wherever you can get it. Whatever shipping is, it's still going to cost a lot less than some other whiskeys you don't like as much.
    If you don't like it, I'll buy it from ya.