Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Rittenhouse 21 Year Old Straight (Bonded?) Rye

This will be released by Heaven Hill in September, some of us tasted a beta version late last year and it was very good. It may be issued as a bond and if so I wonder if the bottle will state it was distilled by DSP KY 31. Rittenhouse (as for Mellow Corn) was originally a Medley brand, Medley of Owensboro. I don't know when the purchase occured but I think it was in the last 20 years. If so and if HH bought stocks of young rye with the label, the label of a bonded 21 year old release would have to state the distillery number of Medley in Owensboro (I believe, unless HH has DSP 31-distilled 21 year old stocks of rye, which is possible I guess). Even if it is not released as a bonded, of course the whiskey in the bottle possibly will have been made at Owensboro. (I hope I stated the tense of this correctly, this isn't easy to do!). If this is so, the taste, at 21 years, might resemble the earlier bottlings of ORVW 13 year old rye which, in their later form (say, the D batch), were about 17-18 years old. That ORVW 13 year old was reputed by some to have been 100% Medley whiskey.

Comments?

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 05-16-2006 at 17:13.

Connoisseur
    wow I had no idea some of the ORVW ryes were up near 17 y.o.

Is the general consensus that ryes can handle more barrel time and not get as much oak effect (as compared to a wheater bourbon)?
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Actually the way HH currently does Old Fitz BIB is state both the distillery and the bottling plant-I'm not sure both are required(and am too lazy at the moment to check)

Yes it would be fun to do a comparo between the latest VWFRR (the "g" is about 19yo) and this new 21yo, and also throw in the upcoming release of Vintage Rye 21 and 23yo coming from KBD...of course at that point you might as well get the Hirsch 21 and Saz 18 and the Classic Cask and BMH and....am I missing any of the oldies?

Some days I just have no restraint!
    Last edited by barturtle; 05-16-2006 at 21:34.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    I am 99.9% sure the 21-year-old rye we tasted at Heaven Hill, and which they are going to release under the Rittenhouse name, was entirely distilled by Heaven Hill.

As for the Rittenhouse name, it was once Medley, but HH didn't get it directly from them. Glenmore acquired it when it acquired the entire Medley company, then Glenmore was acquired by what is now Diageo. I don't recall exactly when HH acquired the brand from them, but it was no earlier than 1992.

The rye whiskey HH is preparing to bottle as Rittenhouse 21-year-old was contract distilled for a Heaven Hill customer. They bought it and paid for it but never took delivery, i.e., they never asked HH to bottle it and take it out of bond. When it started to get a little long in the tooth, HH said to its customer, "you know, this stuff needs to be taken out of wood pretty soon or it's going to get too woody. If you don't want it, would you consider selling it back to us?"

And they did.

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery
    I am 99.9% sure the 21-year-old rye we tasted at Heaven Hill, and which they are going to release under the Rittenhouse name, was entirely distilled by Heaven Hill.

As for the Rittenhouse name, it was once Medley, but HH didn't get it directly from them. Glenmore acquired it when it acquired the entire Medley company, then Glenmore was acquired by what is now Diageo. I don't recall exactly when HH acquired the brand from them, but it was no earlier than 1992.

The rye whiskey HH is preparing to bottle as Rittenhouse 21-year-old was contract distilled for a Heaven Hill customer. They bought it and paid for it but never took delivery, i.e., they never asked HH to bottle it and take it out of bond. When it started to get a little long in the tooth, HH said to its customer, "you know, this stuff needs to be taken out of wood pretty soon or it's going to get too woody. If you don't want it, would you consider selling it back to us?"

And they did.
    Chuck,

Glad to hear that. The Medley rye doesn’t seem to bee standing 21 years. Could partly be to there light 51% rye mash. From drinking the Rittenhouse 10 I am positively sure in would stand another 11 years at least if it is distilled to there normal 65% rye mash. Do you think it might have been distilled in another way somehow due to the fact it was contract distilled?

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by nor02lei
    Do you think it might have been distilled in another way somehow due to the fact it was contract distilled?

Leif
    That's unlikely.

Connoisseur
    As many know, HH also produces Pikesville Rye. They acquired the brand from Standard Distillers in the mid 80's and for a short time even distilled the rye whiskey for Standard before the acquisition was completed.

This could very well be barrels originally intended for the Pikesville label.
    Dave G.

Connoisseur
    To add to my above message.... I am not sure when HH actual acquired the Pikesville brand or the timing of HH producing whiskey for their new brand.
    I am 99% sure that they contract distilled for Standard's Pikeville label for a short period of time in the mid 80's.
    Dave G.

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by dgonano
    As many know, HH also produces Pikesville Rye. They acquired the brand from Standard Distillers in the mid 80's and for a short time even distilled the rye whiskey for Standard before the acquisition was completed.

This could very well be barrels originally intended for the Pikesville label.
    Dave,

Very interesting indeed! I wonder if we will know for sure anytime what the barrels was meant for and home ordered them.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Maybe that's the answer, they were rye contract distilled for Standard Distillers and due to excess supply some of the barrels got too old for the Pikesville brand, hence were not used for that label. Why, since HH bought the label from Standard, were such stocks not bought back? Hard to say, maybe they were too old at the time and Standard (which still exists and distributes bourbon under its own labels) meant to use the product for another label but never did. Good thinking Dave, you may be onto something. But I still would like to know, what happened to existing Medley stocks of rye when HH bought the label of Rittenhouse from Glenmore/United or whomever the parent of Medley was at that time? Maybe it became that Stephen Foster brand?

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 05-18-2006 at 14:50.