Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Bourbon chocolates?

Has anyone heard of these ? I know there are some folks here who are strong advocates of bourbon & chocolate pairings. My wife is just getting into bourbon, and she also loves chocolate. If these are any good, I was thinking of ordering some.

Connoisseur

Re: Bourbon chocolates?

I am sure there are many, but Makers Mark has some on their site for:
    8 oz - $16.95 (16 pcs)
    16 oz - $24.95 (32pcs)

They serve them after their tour and I can say from first hand they are good.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Bourbon balls are a Kentucky standard. There are many sources for them but this looks like a good one. Also check out A Taste of Kentucky and Rebecca Ruth (they invented bourbon balls). You also might want to consider bourbon fudge from the Abbey of Gethsemani (near Bardstown)

Make the bourbon balls an excuse to bring your wife to KY and visit distilleries -- virtually all of the tours end with a sample bourbon ball.

Guru

I use the recipe on the Wild Turkey site and have had no complaints yet.
    2 cups crushed vanilla wafers
    1 cup powdered sugar
    1 cup chopped pecans (I use walnuts sometimes instead)
    2 tablespoons cocoa
    2 tablespoons light corn syrup
    one third cup bourbon (I use ORVW 10/90 YUMMMMMMMMMM)

Roll into balls and coat with more powdered sugar. It's sinful.

Enthusiast

While I try to refrain from overtly praising the bourbon we make, I unabashedly recommend the Buffalo Trace Bourbon chocolate balls. They have been named the best bourbon chocolate candy by the Louisville Courier Journal ever since we first introduced them three years ago. I normally HATE Bourbon Balls, but these are awesome. Just go to gift shop at www.buffalotrace.com and you can buy them online. If you are in Frankfort for a tour of the distillery, we always wrap up the tour with a taste of Buffalo Trace and a bourbon chocolate!

ken

Guru

Just go to gift shop at www.buffalotrace.com and you can buy them online.
    Ken,

I'm usually pretty good at navigating websites to find what I want, but this time I'm stumped. (I went to The Gift Shop and started with Food. Nothing. No luck under the other headings, either.)

I tried the search function using "bourbon balls" as the parameter, and that turned up the Late Night Snack Basket. Hmmmm...

Can you give me a clue?

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Enthusiast

Sorry it took so long to reply. I sent a note to our gift shop manager and she just returned from her holiday vacation yesterday. We can ship the candy in the winter, but prefer not to do so in the summer. It seems that we would have to ship the candy packed in dry ice during the summer. It also seems that no one in Frankfort has dry ice! Ah, the joys and simplicity of small town living.

Anyway, you can call Nancy at 502-696-5926 and order a box of candy. Just tell her you spoke with me and she will take care of it. If you don't agree it is the best bourbon candy you ever ate, send me the bill and I will reimburse you!

Ken

Guru

Ken,

Thanks for the info. I may be on may way to sampling this product.

The uncertainty arises because when I called the number, I reached a recording that gave me information about the hours of the gift shop and the tours, but I was not forwarded to a live person at the end of the message, as I expected. In fact, I wasn't even asked to leave a message.

However, I did hear a beep, so I pretended I was being recorded even though I don't know for sure. Perhaps I'll receive a return call. We'll see.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Connoisseur

The gift shop likely closed earlier since they are 3 hours ahead of you.