Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

If you got it, would you open it?

I've been following the thread on the Buffalo Trace Experimental Collection and throughout I have been wondering, if I did manage to get all three bottles, would I open any, all, part of it, hoard it, share it, use it for a specific occasion, sell it, sell part of it, trade it, or what?

Humm....I have an idea of what I might do...but to be honest, there might be more than one of the choices that I've have to think about.

What about you, what would you do?

Mark/Nebraska
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    I think I'd put them away for long enough that the regular production versions came out and then bring them out and share and compare...and if no regular version arrived in the next 15 years or so, then it would be time to bring them to the Gazebo-that would blow some minds by then!

Of course since my collection/bunker/stash contains exactly zero of the BTEC, it's quite easy for me to not open them for an infinite amount of time, with no evaporation, bad corks, or out of pocket expenses.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru
    No opening for me as I view these as merely collectors items and really only have a minute curiosity about how they taste. Don't get me wrong, if offered a taste I wouldn't pass it up. But every bottle I've ever bought was either for consumption or trade and I have few that I hold back unopened. Those are the ones that are TRIED and TRUE great bourbons, not experiments.
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Connoisseur

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle
    I think I'd put them away for long enough that the regular production versions came out and then bring them out and share and compare...and if no regular version arrived in the next 15 years or so, then it would be time to bring them to the Gazebo-that would blow some minds by then!

Of course since my collection/bunker/stash contains exactly zero of the BTEC, it's quite easy for me to not open them for an infinite amount of time, with no evaporation, bad corks, or out of pocket expenses.
    I couldn't have said it better.....my thoughts exactly! And, when I did decide to open them, my first sip would be from the French Oak variation. Something about that one especially attracts my interest and tastebuds above the others.
    "All I can say is that I have taken more out of alcohol than it has taken out of me".....Winston Churchill

Connoisseur
    I open almost everything, I didn't buy them to look at 'em.
    Illuminati in training

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by AVB
    I open almost everything, I didn't buy them to look at 'em.
    I agree. However, I would look at them for a good long while before I opened them!
    Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

I find the Firepot makes an excellent Bourbon and Diet Coke

Just Kidding,
    But, I do plan to drink them.
    I think the empty bottles will make cool paperweights.
    Colonel Ed
    Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Advanced Taster
    I think I would have to open them, even knowing they would go up in value immediately. I would have to know if they are any good. I would likely trade 50ml "samples" for other things I want. I would definitly keep the empty bottles and probably a sample of each.

Jay
    Saturday night I was downtown
    Working for the FBI
    Sitting in a nest of bad men
    Whisky bottles piling high
    - The Hollies

Connoisseur
    I would open it. I haven't heard a lot about the taste of the different ones so I would probably open all 3 and try each.

As far as planning on holding for future value.....most bourbon become valuable after some time, due to rarity, quality and memories.

So i'd be wary of this one, it's become valuable only based on it's rarity. If I wasn't planning on drinking it at some point I would sell it or trade it because I don't know that it could really increase that much in value. tough to know the future.
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

Guru
    Just drink it with friends.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."