Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    I definitely would open them. I understand the collector who has to have at least one of everything and bottles in the "collection" will never be opened, but that's not me. I have a few things I'm not in any hurry to open...some Prohibition-era Old Taylor, a signed bottle of Booker's...things like that, but I've never purchased anything intending never to open it.

Guru

Clarification

Having just found and purchased a bottle of WT Tribute, I am asking myself and now this forum as to what type of occaision would befit it's opening. Some of my fellow bourbonians suggest that merely having the bottle is occaision enough.

That argument hasn't worked with my bottle of Fall '05 Stagg and so far and the Tribute is in the same category. I am not saying I have it just to look at it, but on the other hand I feel as though it does deserve special considerations.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Advanced Taster
    To quote "Sideways," whenever you happen to open it, that will be a special occasion. Maybe open it when a friend who appreciates the good stuff is over, maybe open it by yourself just to enjoy it, then share it with that friend later.
    -Sam

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    I agree with Sam. Having someone to share it with who will appreciate it as much as you do is a better "occasion" than an otherwise important event at which the other participants would rather have champagne.

Guru
    Thank You.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Connoisseur
    I would put them on my shelf and admire them. They would definitely all be opened, itís just a question of when. There is the possibility that they could sit for quite some time unopened but itís more likely that I would open them within a month of buying them. The bottles that I keep sealed are the ones that I really like that I probably will never be able to buy again or be in the mood to shell out a ton of money for anytime soon. Not that I see it happening anytime soon but the thought of having sealed bottles sitting around when I die really bothers meÖ what a waste. Anyone attempting to buy the bottles from me with the intention of never opening them would likely receive an email with video footage of me opening and drinking straight from them shortly after they are opened.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Advanced Taster
    I'll be opening mine as soon as I get it. And I'll share a pour with the rest of the guys that I work with. After that, it'll sit looking pretty for awhile, waiting for the right time.

Connoisseur

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by SBOmarc
    That argument hasn't worked with my bottle of Fall '05 Stagg and so far and the Tribute is in the same category. I am not saying I have it just to look at it, but on the other hand I feel as though it does deserve special considerations.
    Same results here. I have 2 Tributes, 3 Staggs and several WT12s - but, yet to open any of them. It makes no sense to wait though.....don't really know why I do it. All of my best bottles are still 'virgins'. I'll tell you something though from personal experience - if we wait too long, our friends and family will be enjoying them after our funerals.
    "All I can say is that I have taken more out of alcohol than it has taken out of me".....Winston Churchill

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by ProofPositive
    Same results here. I have 2 Tributes, 3 Staggs and several WT12s - but, yet to open any of them. It makes no sense to wait though.....don't really know why I do it. All of my best bottles are still 'virgins'. I'll tell you something though from personal experience - if we wait too long, our friends and family will be enjoying them after our funerals.
    I look at my bourbon collection as 2 categories.

I do have a group of things i would term as "hard to get" which would include stuff that you list. It's not stuff that I'm never going to drink, but it is stuff that is/was hard to get or rare(for me, could include KY only bottlings, etc).

Then I have all my opens and easily avaliable whiskey, which I would term my "pen". This would include the things I like to drink and can readily get and any open bottle including any open from the "hard to get" list.

Generally I have a few of the "hard to get boubons" open in my drinking "pen".

I am also a bit more conservative about when I open a "hard to get" because I know I might not see more in a long while, if ever. Since I add to my "hard to get" list a lot slower than my drinking pen, it makes sense to also open them at a slower rate.

For me, it's nice to have a "hard to get" opened along with many other bourbons/whiskeys. Does it stand up against current offerings?

I do enjoy verticals, but am not really that big on trying 5 different WT's at once by myself. I like to rather enjoy one bottle at a time. Verticles are more interesting when done in a group for me.
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Hedonistic Drinking

I find a certain pleasure in opening and drinking something I can't get more of.
    (This wasn't always the case and I credit Tim S. with leading by example)
    Just because I can. (and by inference, somone else can't???, Maybe!! ) Bittersweet as the moment may be.
    That pleasure increases logarithmically with every person I share it with.
    The most pleasurable is that last sip, cataloguing the moment in my memory and hoping that I can recall it.

On the other hand, there are bourbons whose contents are not nearly as important as the bottling or reason for bottling. I won't drink special Maker's Dips. Its all Makers on the inside. I won't drink my Booker's tribute bottle.

I am slowly, but inexorably, joining the "Drink it Man, Drink IT!!!" school.
    Colonel Ed
    Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"