Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    I'm definately in the open it and drink it category. Or, give it to someone who would like it. I only have 1 bottle that I won't open--at least until October 12, 2019--a Maker's Mark VIP that I had made up in honor of my daughter when she was born. She'll turn 21 on that day! God willing we'll share a sip then. Well a sip for her anyway. I'll have a little more, I'm sure.

JOE

I find this thread a justification for opening as many bottles as possible. Like many of you, I have bottles that may be irreplaceable -- but that's exactly why, as Ed suggests, it behooves me to try them. I'll never get the chance again. However, since the whiskey isn't going to go 'bad', if I have 20-30 (or, closer to 50, at present, after Bardstown ) other bottles open, I'm going to taste a lot of other things while I'm also drinking that rare bottle. In other words, it's going to last a good while after opening, during which I'll still get to sit and stare at it if I choose. And, by all means, share it with someone who appreciates how special it is -- there just isn't a better way, or time, to drink it!
    If that bottle's just to look at, I may as well just stick it on eBay now.
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 05-24-2006 at 10:28.
    Tim

Connoisseur
    well I waited to weigh in on this. At the beginning of this thread I said I thought I may have an idea of what I would do.

I think I would let it sit for just a little while, and I do mean very little, Just to give it a look and to wait for en evening that seems right to pop the top. As Tim said I think I would try to make it last, I do that with most of my bottles because of trying different pours each night.

I definitely would someone else to try it that would appreciate it. And of course when finally empty the bottles would stay up in a prominent position for perusing.

That's what I thin I would do...now if I actually had some sitting in front of me....who knows!

Mark/Nebraska
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Wink OK, Where are the BT XC tasting notes??

If we're all being honest, then where are the tasting notes?
    Colonel Ed
    Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Advanced Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by pepcycle
    If we're all being honest, then where are the tasting notes?
    Where's my whiskey?
    -Sam

Virtuoso
    I'd be in the "drink it with someone who'd appreciate it" camp, though it might sit on the shelf a while before it gets opened. Of course, the question is academic for me, since no BTEC bottles exist in my abode.

Then again, I have several difficult- or impossible-to-replace bottles, and all of them are eventually going to be opened and savored. Some of them have been distilled across the Atlantic , but there's a Saz 18, some WTRR 101, some ER 101, a Hazmat II, some Spring '05 Stagg, a gold-wax Hirsch 16...
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!