Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The thing that comes immediately to mind is Pappy Van Winkel 20 or 23. This bourbon has a very good reputation, and it is certainly something special. The only downside is that the bottle is rather plain. I have never even seen the 23 year old, so I can't comment on that bottle or taste...

Another couple of options might be Blantons, which is awesome and has very nice packaging or Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit. I've never had the latter, but the bottle looks like something very special.

Another great thing about Kentucky Spirit is that it is not available in Japan, so it will have an extra level of "special" to your Japanese friend. I'd go with the Kentucky Spirit or the Pappy Van Winkel.

Joel
    "Oh Bother!" said Pooh as he slapped another magazine in his AK-47...

http://vinesnwines.blogspot.com

Enthusiast
    I'd mentioned Blanton's before because of the cutsie bottle design and horsie style stopper - it exudes class and is good stuff to boot.

I know the VW 20 YO, and I think the 23, come in very fetching velvet style drawstring bags (least they do in the UK) and is super stuff into the bargain. This is why if either VW is in stock it would make a great gift - particularly as money is not in the equation.

If this high class store is up to the mark then xip80 should have no problem getting one of the recommended brands put forward by the SB folks.
    Philip

I guess good whiskey really does tickle my pickle!

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012
    xip80:

If you want to get him something special....
    1) Pappy 15, 20 and 23 are available at Hamilton Liquors in Carmel. The Pappy 15 is over $70, the 20 is $109 and the 23 is $279.
    2) The Antique Collection-Stagg, WL Weller, ER 17 can be purchased there too for $50-57 per bottle. Any...or a couple of these are worthy purchases for a gift!

I'm sending you a private message...

Dawn

Connoisseur

Thumbs up

The great thing is that you have a pretty darn good number of high quality bourbon from which to choose. My 2 cents are as follows - but, not necessarily in same order:

1) Wild Turkey Tribute (if you can find one) - $99 & up;
    2) Van Winkle 15 or 20 - $45 & $89 in my neck of the woods and worth every bit of it. If your guy does not care for more of an oakey flavor, go for the 15YO. I would say the 23YO as well but it is going for over $200 where you can find it;
    3) Blanton's or Rock Hill Farms - both from Buffalo Trace and $40-50 each;
    4) Maple Hill in just about any variation - price ranges from $60-150.
    "All I can say is that I have taken more out of alcohol than it has taken out of me".....Winston Churchill

VanWinkle

I agree with the previous posters about buying him VanWinkles 15,20 or 23yr. An additional touch you could add would be a copy of the "But Always Good Bourbon" book. I'm assuming he reads english.

Novice
    I'd go with Pappy Van Winkle 20-yr old ($80) or Rock Hill Farms ($45). Also, your Maker's Mark would be a good choice!

Thanks for all of your suggestions guys! I went to Kahn's in Carmel, IN and I took a look at their selection. I considered getting the Pappy Van Winkle 20yo, but I ended up getting Blanton's. Blanton's had a nicer looking bottle, and the clerk also said that he personally preferred it. This whole experience has gotten me interested in Bourbon though, so I may be tasting other suggestions if/when I run into them.

Thanks again!

Connoisseur

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by xip80
    Thanks for all of your suggestions guys! I went to Kahn's in Carmel, IN and I took a look at their selection. I considered getting the Pappy Van Winkle 20yo, but I ended up getting Blanton's. Blanton's had a nicer looking bottle, and the clerk also said that he personally preferred it. This whole experience has gotten me interested in Bourbon though, so I may be tasting other suggestions if/when I run into them.

Thanks again!
    Good Choice - High Quality Bottle and Hight Quality Pour. I'm sure your dad's friend will be very pleased with this gift.
    "All I can say is that I have taken more out of alcohol than it has taken out of me".....Winston Churchill

Enthusiast
    Thanks for getting back to the forum with your choice! Blanton's is a perfect gift.

I know what I want from Santa now - how far away is Xmas?
    Philip

I guess good whiskey really does tickle my pickle!

Quote Originally Posted by xip80

Thanks again!
    Good call on the Blantons. I agree the PVW looks very plain, despite it's premium price. Presentation is important for the particular application. Thanks for getting back to us, I've been wondering what you ended up with.

Joel
    "Oh Bother!" said Pooh as he slapped another magazine in his AK-47...

http://vinesnwines.blogspot.com