Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Distillers Flour (aka dried spent grains)

I've always loved the smell of dried distillers grain. Last month I picked up a couple bags of pancake mix (made by Weisenberger) at Buffalo Trace that have some "Distiller's Four" mixed in. Looking at the ingredients list it looks like a fairly small amount is added to the mix.

The pancakes are quite tasty. The distiller's flour announces its presence in a subtle way. You get a faint smell and taste of being in the fermenting room.

Anyone know where I can get a bag of straight distillers flour? I'd like to add this to other things I cook as well.

Thanks,
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery
    Thanks Chuck, that looks interesting, I'll give it a try.

Thanks,
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeK
    Thanks Chuck, that looks interesting, I'll give it a try.

Thanks,
    I ordered a couple boxes of the mix and baked one last night. Very tasty! Good call Chuck. The only downside, if you can say that, is that it made the whole house smell so good that I couldn't nose my whiskey.

But I still want a sack of dried distillers grain or ground flour so I can add it to my own recipes. Do I need to sneak one out the back door of the distillery? Hey Ken Weber, how about directing a wee bit of output from the drying plant over to the BT gift shop?

Thanks,
    Mike

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeK
    I ordered a couple boxes of the mix and baked one last night. Very tasty! Good call Chuck. The only downside, if you can say that, is that it made the whole house smell so good that I couldn't nose my whiskey.

But I still want a sack of dried distillers grain or ground flour so I can add it to my own recipes. Do I need to sneak one out the back door of the distillery? Hey Ken Weber, how about directing a wee bit of output from the drying plant over to the BT gift shop?

Thanks,
    Mike,
    I'm with you on this one. I would love to try this too. Would like to bread things in it, like fried green tomatoes, etc.
    I'm just not sure there is a 'drying plant'. I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that farmers came and got the spent grain as 'slop'. Does BT have facilities to actually dry their stuff?
    I'd be up for driving down and picking some up for both of us...
    Bj
    As a Kentuckian I consider it my civic duty to smoke, drink Bourbon and bet the ponies. It's a tuff job, but I persevere.

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Try Ken Pierce at Barton

We got a pretty good tour of the facilities at Barton that handle spent grain.
    They have a whole section of the plant with dryers and evaporators that dry the grain separate from the liquid and IIRC mix them back to creat the right texture. You should be able to get some of the dried grain.
    Colonel Ed
    Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by pepcycle
    We got a pretty good tour of the facilities at Barton that handle spent grain.
    They have a whole section of the plant with dryers and evaporators that dry the grain separate from the liquid and IIRC mix them back to creat the right texture. You should be able to get some of the dried grain.
    Thanks Ed!
    I'll give 'em a call.
    Bj
    As a Kentuckian I consider it my civic duty to smoke, drink Bourbon and bet the ponies. It's a tuff job, but I persevere.

Connoisseur
    Well Thank you Ed, you are a gentleman and a scholar!

I just got off the phone with Greg Davis, and he said if I drop him off a sack sometime next week, he would fill it...
    How cool is that?

I also talked with Ken Pierce. We talked about the texture, and how coarse it's going to be. This won't be distiller's flour, it will be the actual dried spent grain. We'll have to grind it ourselves. Guess we could do that in a food processor? Coffee grinder?

Greg did say they were one of the few distilleries that dried their stuff. Now that I think about it, I wish I had asked them why they do it. Do you know why they go that extra step?
    Bj

Guru
    And there it was if you'd just looked out the back door....
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8erdane
    And there it was if you'd just looked out the back door....
    yeah...I wasn't gonna mention it, but I didn't really call 'em...I just yelled over the fence...