Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Administrator in exile

Re: Distillers Flour (aka dried spent grains)

Buffalo Trace sells packaged biscuit and pancake mixes made from "distiller's flour." Both are quite good.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Several years ago, the chef at the Seelbach Hotel in Louisville developed a quick bread using distillers dry grain, which he was selling as a packaged mix. I don't think anything ever became of it.
    You're thinking of the Sour Mash Bourbon Bread Co. and Chef Jim Gerhardt. And its still available. I have some of the pancake mix kickin' around somewhere. Chef Gerhardt left the Seelbach and opened his own place off of Hurstbourne Parkway several years ago. Its called The Limestone, and they carry it there and in several other little speciality stores. If you're coming to Bardstown for the Sampler, you might try Keene's Depot.

Chef Gerhardt used the term 'distiller's flour' in the ingredient list on the back of his packages. MikeK and I came to realize that the words 'distillers flour' was a really a confusing term. There is no 'flour' at all. Simply light, fluffy pieces of spent grain with intense flavor and smell. All the sugars (which is why Jeff's recipe said "Use Spent Grain that still has a small amount of sugars still in the grain.") and more importantly...all the gluten is gone. The guys at Sullivan laughed when I tried to have it ground into flour. It must be mixed with flour, and lots of it inorder to bake anything. It is more a flavor additive than anything else.
    But not bad on fried green tomatoes...
    Bj
    As a Kentuckian I consider it my civic duty to smoke, drink Bourbon and bet the ponies. It's a tuff job, but I persevere.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

That's it exactly. I had some when it first came out. I'm not big on quick breads, but as quick breads go it was pretty good. It reminded me of beer bread.

Something that's mostly corn wouldn't have much gluten in it to begin with, I don't imagine.

Limestone's web site doesn't have a shop, but here it is in case anyone wants to contact them or check out the menu.

Administrator in exile

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    That's it exactly. I had some when it first came out. I'm not big on quick breads, but as quick breads go it was pretty good. It reminded me of beer bread.

Something that's mostly corn wouldn't have much gluten in it to begin with, I don't imagine.

Limestone's web site doesn't have a shop, but here it is in case anyone wants to contact them or check out the menu.
    Ed, Patty, Leslie and I dined there a couple weeks ago before heading to Chicago Whiskyfest. The food is top notch. We opted for the "Feed Me" menu, in which the server asks if there is anything you are allergic to or do not like, and the chef takes it from there. Very nice!
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Connoisseur

Chuck & Jeff,
    You're exactly right. That's why the whole 'distiller's flour' is such a misnomer.

Yep, I've eaten lunch at the Limestone a couple of times. Their seafood is sushi grade, I just would have liked larger portions. I'm sorry I didn't provide the Limstone link before. I just hate websites that use that pop-up thingy...
    As a Kentuckian I consider it my civic duty to smoke, drink Bourbon and bet the ponies. It's a tuff job, but I persevere.