Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Guru

watering down the proof

Is there a ratio of bourbon to water to cut the proof.
    For example if I had one ounce of 100 proof bourbon, how much water would I add to make it 90 proof?
    And how about the GTStagg at 141.2 proof. How much water to add to make it, 125 proof? or 110 proof? or 100 proof?

Thanks
    Oscar

Oh by the way, this is a great web-site!

Enthusiast
    Hi Oscar,

In the FAQ section there is a simple calculation posted where you fill in the blanks. I keep it in my favorites list, since I use it often.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/faq.html#7

Doug

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    The formula is (amount of whiskey) x ((bottle proof / target proof) - 1) = amount of water to add.

In other words, divide the proof you have by the proof you want and subtract one. Multiply that number by the amount of whiskey you want to dilute and the result will be the amount of water to add.

For example, to reduce 100 proof whiskey to 80 proof, you add 2 ounces of water to 8 ounces of whiskey. 8x((100/80)-1)=2

(Page 143-144 of BOURBON, STRAIGHT.)

Guru
    thanks for the info Fricky and Chuck.

Nobody asked,... but what the hell I am going to say it anyway. The Detroit Tigers have the best record in baseball!!!!

Ok back to bourbon.
    I also assume that distilled water would be best to do this with.

Thanks again
    Oscar

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarV
    Nobody asked,... but what the hell I am going to say it anyway. The Detroit Tigers have the best record in baseball!!!!

Oscar

I have been meaning to ask people about the baseball season over there. I get to see quite a lot more Major League Baseball now than I used to with all the Japanese players over there now. But I only get to see games they play in. The post season is different.

I think I will start a thread in off topic.
    Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV
    I also assume that distilled water would be best to do this with.
    Not necessarily. There is nothing terribly wrong with distilled water, but there is nothing particularly great about it either. Distilleries do not use distilled water when they dilute whiskey, either prior to barrel entry or prior to bottling. If the distillery uses spring water, that's what they use. If they use city water, it's typically treated--demineralized or what-have-you--but not distilled.

The only negative about using distilled water is that, unless that's what you normally use as drinking water, it may taste funny to you because it's not what you are accustomed to tasting.

The biggest thing with water and ice cubes at home is avoid doing anything that will add off flavors to your drink. The most extreme example, don't handle ice cubes right after slicing an onion.

Personally, I use tap water run through a Brita pitcher filter.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery
    Distilleries do not use distilled water when they dilute whiskey, either prior to barrel entry or prior to bottling. If the distillery uses spring water, that's what they use. If they use city water, it's typically treated--demineralized or what-have-you--but not distilled.
    Demineralized water is presumably the result of reverse osmosis. The resulting water is all but the same as distilled water. That is to say, H2O and not much of anything else. Home units typically remove 95-99% of the total dissolved solids (minerals). I imagine that commercial work at the upper end of that.

Personally, I use tap water run through a Brita pitcher filter.
    Britas filter out much/most of the minerals via ion-exchange (substitutes hydrogen ions for metallic ions), depending on how new the filter is, though not nearly as much as RO filters do. It also has a carbon filter, which removes chlorine and other off-flavors. It's probably a pretty good choice for this.

Since moving to the country with a well 15 years ago, I have become very sensitive to the taste of chlorine in water and find it very unpleasant. I would certainly never use water with noticeable chlorine to dilute whiskey.

Our well water is fairly hard, so we buy reverse-osmosis (plus carbon filtered and UV disinfected) water from a dispenser at the local supermarket for $0.29/gallon. I had considered buying an under-the-counter RO unit, but I can't compete with this price, especially considering the maintenance I would have to do. I fill five gallon (19 liter) plastic jugs that fit on top of a ceramic two-gallon crock that sits on a wooden stand and has a spigot. I use this for drinking and making tea, and for diluting whiskey.

Jeff
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

While RO is the most common form of commerical/industrial water treatment, I seem to recall being told that Jim Beam uses deionization, but don't hold me to that. It's a very vague memory.

Enthusiast
    While RO is the most common form of commerical/industrial water treatment, I seem to recall being told that Jim Beam uses deionization, but don't hold me to that. It's a very vague memory.
    I think that they are one and the same - it's just terminology. Other than R.O., I can't think off hand of any other way to deionize water except for distillation, which would be prohibitively expensive.

Jeff
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Quote Originally Posted by JeffRenner
    I think that they are one and the same - it's just terminology. Other than R.O., I can't think off hand of any other way to deionize water except for distillation, which would be prohibitively expensive.

Jeff
    I'm in way over my head here, but I think of RO as involving a semi-permeable membrane whereas DI involves passage through synthetic polymeric resin beads.