Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BBQ and Bourbon

Connoisseur

BBQ and Bourbon

Now I'm not usually one for whisky food combinations in the strict sense, as I most often am more like to pair food with wine or beer. But BBQ is my main exception to the rule. I make my own sauce from scratch and put in some bourbon while I'm sauteing the onions, garlic and jalapenos.
    While I'm earting I most often will pour a glass of good quality bourbon (on the rocks if I'm eating outside) and also have a glass of beer with my food. It's a great combination and if you've never tried it I highly reccommend it.

Connoisseur
    I am a BBQ nut...actually have the three day weekend off for the first time in I don't know how long. Time to catch up on some BBQ'ing, eating, and drinking!
    I enjoy a good beer with my BBQ, but while it is smoking away, I enjoy a nice pour of Bourbon. I was cooking a couple Butts a few weeks ago and I started them at about 4:30 AM. I had a neighbor who was heading out on a short vacation and he wanted to get a bottle of Bourbon as a gift for his uncle. Well it was only about 9:30 AM but heck I had been up for quite a while...and Bourbon goes so well with the nice Alder smoke...so we sampled a few bottles for breakfast. He settled on the Bookers...
    Todd

Connoisseur

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyBoston
    Now I'm not usually one for whisky food combinations in the strict sense, as I most often am more like to pair food with wine or beer. But BBQ is my main exception to the rule. I make my own sauce from scratch and put in some bourbon while I'm sauteing the onions, garlic and jalapenos.
    While I'm earting I most often will pour a glass of good quality bourbon (on the rocks if I'm eating outside) and also have a glass of beer with my food. It's a great combination and if you've never tried it I highly reccommend it.
    This sounds like a great combination for later today!

Happy & Safe 4th of July to All!!!!!!!!!!
    "All I can say is that I have taken more out of alcohol than it has taken out of me".....Winston Churchill

Connoisseur
    I decided to bring out my smoker this weekend and smoke up some babyback ribs. I marinaded them overnight in a mixture of water, salt, brown sugar, cayenne, chili powder, coriander, cumin, oregano, thyme, molasses, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, grey poupon, and a healthy dose of bourbon. The ribs came out great. The boubon was a great additive to the marinade. I'm going to try the same thing with some brisket soon.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Novice

Re: BBQ and Bourbon

bbq and bourbon are siblings, and my favorite homemade bbq sauces
    are made with bourbon. I`ve tried many different bourbons in sauces.
    best stuff there is on pork butt
    No End

Guru

Post Re: BBQ and Bourbon

I am also a major barbecue fanatic, but I enjoy my bourbon while I am cooking it or an hour or more after the meal. I have never enjoyed spirits with a meal. Beer, wine, iced tea, or soft drinks, but never liquor.

If I am having a drink in a restaurant and they bring out food before I have finished it, I will not touch the food until the drink is done.

That's just me.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur

What I really like with BBQ is either a brown zinfandel or a kentucky iced tea. And thanks to Tim for bringing both of these drinks to my attention.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    I am also a major barbecue fanatic, but I enjoy my bourbon while I am cooking it or an hour or more after the meal. I have never enjoyed spirits with a meal. Beer, wine, iced tea, or soft drinks, but never liquor
    I find this pretty much true for myself as well. I do enjoy a nice Bourbon while the cook is going on...just goes perfect with the smoke coming off the cooker. I can understand the cigar connection for some people, but BBQ smoke is as close as I think I will come to that. Maybe I can find a Cuban wood to use!
    I do enjoy a nice cool beer while eating, or a tall ice water.
    What kind of cookers do you guys use? I have a Large BGE w/guru and a WSM.
    I know I covet at times...but for me I think I am at my most relaxed content place when I have the family hanging out playing croquet, and I am sitting back on the deck downwind from the BBQ with a nice pour of Bourbon in my hand...makes me realize how really blessed I have been.
    Todd

Guru

Here's one. I watched Fred Noe pour a whole bottle of Bookers over a grill full of thick pork chops, and then...light it on fire. It was deeelicious.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    I am also a major barbecue fanatic,

Tim
    Hey Tim,
    You ever eat at Jim 'N Nick's Bar-B-Q in Gardendale?
    We were there in '04 and the ribs were awesome, they had Heineken on draft, I was in heaven.