Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Manhattan's

Enthusiast

Re: Manhattan's

Straight Rye makes the best Manhatten's. I go with Rittenhouse BIB as the numero uno. 2 oz of whiskey to 1 oz sweet vermouth. a couple of dashes of bitters and a marschino cherry. 2 tips for you one is to chill the martini glass with ice before you prepare the drink in the shaker. The other is to shake it for no less than 5 seconds. Strain it into your chilled glass and you are good to go. If you want to make a perfect Manhattan use 1/2 a oz of sweet vermouth and 1/2 a oz of dry vermouth. A dry manhattan is 1 oz of dry vermouth. Enjoy.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Virtuoso

Just recently decided to try my hand at a few Manhattans and I think i found my recipe off the back of a vermouth bottle. Made them 2:1 bourbon to M&R vermouth but no bitters. i think I'll pick somem bitters up when I get a new bottle of vermouth. Used EW black mostly but did try some EWSB which kinda sucked in my opinion. The black made a much better manhattan.

Taster

Here is another version called a Moto Gucci

Equal parts bourbon and Punt e mes (an Italian vermouth which is dark brown in colour and has a bitter flavor)

Disciple

Bitters are key -- Angostura (easy to find with the yellow cap) will do just fine.

Purists will tell you that by definition a "cocktail" must include bitters... I find that they tie the drink together into something better than the parts.
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by StraightBoston View Post
    Purists will tell you that by definition a "cocktail" must include bitters... I find that they tie the drink together into something better than the parts.
    Amen, Brother! Preach it!

Here is what Gary and Mardee Regan say on the subject on p. 271 of their 1995 The Book of Bourbon:

"Without any bitters at all, a Manhattan is no more than a decent mixture; with them, it is a dazzling cocktail that will bring a sparkle to the eyes and put a slick step back into a pair of tired dancing feet."

Jeff
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943