Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Manhattan's

Connoisseur

Manhattan's

Does anyone have a great recipe for a Manhattan?

Also any bourbon recommendations to put in them?

Thank so much.

Tim

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyBoston
    Does anyone have a great recipe for a Manhattan?

Also any bourbon recommendations to put in them?

Thank so much.

Tim

Here is a previous thread on the topic. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ight=Manhattan
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    I took a look at the previous thread and think I will revise my answer a little. For one thing, I seldom garnish the drink anymore (i.e., no cherry) and don't miss it.

I do find that, if I feel like a manhattan, my hand goes immediately for the Rittenhouse Rye bottled-in-bond. If a bourbon, Very Old Barton BIB. Because of the sweetness of the vermouth, I tend not to like wheated bourbons for a manhattan.

If I'm feeling lazy, I'll make it on-the-rocks, but I really prefer them mixed in a shaker or pitcher (Shaken v. stirred? Either is fine.) and strained into a chilled glass.

Proportions, I usually free pour, but it's probably 3:1 or 4:1.

Bitters? Yes, and usually five or six shakes instead of the customary one or two.

I think I may go make one right now.

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery
    ...if I feel like a manhattan, my hand goes immediately for the Rittenhouse Rye bottled-in-bond...
    I'll second that -- at least, so far as to affirm that I much prefer a straight rye (I used most of a bottle of 2004 Saz 18yo -- which I found very one-dimensional -- in Manhattans). Almost any bourbon is too 'sweet' to match with the vermouth.
    Tim

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon
    Almost any bourbon is too 'sweet' to match with the vermouth.
    I much agree Tim and therefore use Canadian Whiskey to make mine.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Well we have a spectrum of Manhattan flavors. Canadian whisky makes (to my taste) a light Manhattan, where the whiskey taste is subtle. Wheat-recipe bourbon makes a mild-tasting Manhattan and some find it hasn't enough edge; this is due to absence of rye small grains. A rye-recipe bourbon Manhattan makes an acceptable drink, tending to very good, depending on the type of bourbon. A straight rye whiskey makes the least sweet Manhattan in the sense that the rye spiciness adds complexity and interest to the drink. I like Manhattans best either with straight rye only or a blend of all the whiskies I have mentioned plus JD for good measure. The blending, which always has a good splash of Lot 40 in it (which is very rye-e), just makes for a complex, rich, balanced flavor once the vermouth is added. Sometimes if the result is too "much" I'll add some good soft vodka to make the taste less intense (or say, Black Velvet). I have a Sazerac mixture now made from 20 whiskies of the types mentioned, some vodka (maybe 15%), maple syrup and brown sugar, absinthe and two kinds of bitters. It is (need I say) very good.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 05-28-2006 at 11:27.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery

If I'm feeling lazy, I'll make it on-the-rocks, but I really prefer them mixed in a shaker or pitcher (Shaken v. stirred? Either is fine.) and strained into a chilled glass.
    I agree about the shaker Chuck. I have no real experience with mixing cocktails other than Gin and Tonics, Rum & Cokes, screwdrivers or a margarita(with the pre bottle mix, of course). So when I started trying Whiskey cocktails, I had a hell of a time......

I first started making Sazeracs and Manhattans by simply mixing them (stirring) in a single glass I was not very happy with the outcome. Flavors seems way off and didn't seem to compliment each other.

I then tried it in a shaker. WOW totally different and good.

These 2 whiskey cocktails are comprised of ingredients(bitters, herbsaint, vermouth) each of which, has a very strong and distinct impact and this impact can be throw off but a slight miscalculation in the amounts of any one and/or not mixing well. Thess are not "beginner" cocktails and someone who can make a great one, truly has learned a skill.

If you don't have experience with making cocktails like I did, I would recommend using a shaker to make them.
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

Advanced Taster
    I learned to make Manhattans on the rocks, mixing in the glass. Yesterday, I found a couple of what I call Manhattan glasses (like a martini glass, but with a stouter stem, so I don't spill it all), and used a shaker to mix a manhattan. I'm never going back. For the record, I used Old Overolt in this one. After experimenting, I stick with straight rye in my manhattans, though I need to grab a bottle of Canadian (Forty Creek?) to give that a whirl.
    -Sam

Guru
    All this discusssion reminded my to re-try a variant that I haven't had for a while... It's a "Wry Manhattan"... made with rye (I use Saz) and Southern Comfort in place of the sweet vermouth. You may have to adjust the bitters component some.

I first had this at the Cowboy Ciao Restaurant in Scottsdale, Az. It's an interesting variant on the old classic.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Virtuoso
    I'm on my second Manhattan tonight... the first was with Rittenhouse BIB, and the current one with WT101. Both of these make superb Manhattans, and are inexpensive enough that I don't regret mixing them, even though they are quite good neat.

Tonight, I'm taking a different approach to the bitters - instead of using Angostura, I shook in a few dashes each of Peychaud's and of Regan's Orange Bitters.

Absolutely sublime, whether with Rittenhouse or with WT101. A wonderful drink for a warm evening on the front porch, with the lightning bugs making their first appearance of the year, and the sounds of a downtown Saturday night concert with a good local rock band clearly audible.

I was tempted to go further in the Sazerac direction with a dash of Herbsaint, but decided against it. Maybe next time. Peychaud's + Regan's is my usual bitters combo for Sazeracs...

As I have always done, I use a cherry and a teaspoon of the cherry syrup, and my whiskey/vermouth mix is 3 oz/1 oz , with Martini & Rossi red.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!