Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Neat - It has happened

I like my liqour on the rocks. I started drinking scotch about ten years ago, always on the rocks. In the last year or so I switched to Bourbon and stopped drinking scotch (for the most part). Always on the rocks.

I always tried new bourbons neat just to get everything that was there, but then went back to on the rocks.

A little while ago I bought a bottle of Eagle Rare 10 YO. Discovered I liked it neat. That's a first...

Today I poured some Knob Creek, neat. Hmmm, pretty good stuff. Then I tried some Elijah Craig neat. Liked that as well. Elmer T. Lee? Yup.

I guess I have reached the point where I like this stuff neat. There is definitely a lot more flavor to be had without the ice. I don't think I will stop drinking it on the rocks anytime soon, but I have definitely become a convert to straight bourbon neat.

Joel
    "Oh Bother!" said Pooh as he slapped another magazine in his AK-47...

http://vinesnwines.blogspot.com

Advanced Taster
    i usually like young bourbons on the rocks, older ones neat. maybe not "old" like pappy 23, but better aged whiskies. some bourbons....even well aged, dont taste good neat. sometimes those are good with ice, sometimes ice and water. for example i like old crow (say what you will!) on the rocks, its a smooth and citrusy bourbon. however, strait up its a rough, simple whiskey. just how i like maker's mark with a tiny splash of water, or neat.
    but maker's on the rocks was flat with little flavor. even though its a very flavorful whiskey, the ice spoiled the taste. if it doesnt tast right, try serving it differently. works for me every time. i find that just about every whiskey has some kind of use (even if its for cooking) good whiskey-ing!...........is that a word?
    Last edited by straightwhiskeyruffneck; 05-27-2006 at 19:03.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    I almost always drink whiskey neat, but maybe that's because I'm so damn lazy. Bottle, glass, done.

Hey, it just dawned on me. Who needs a glass?

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery
    I almost always drink whiskey neat, but maybe that's because I'm so damn lazy. Bottle, glass, done.

LOL!

I used to always drink my bourbon neat (yes, in a glass) but I found it started getting hard on my stomach. I switched to drinking it on the rocks...problem solved!

I'll drink to that!!!! EW black straight out of the bottle, yahoo!

I will hardly ever put ice in anything, but will farily often add a few drops, maybe about a teaspoon of cold water (to the bourbon in the glass). I just don't enjoy much on ice. I do have a tendancy of confusing waitresses and barkeeps though when I say no pollution or unpolluted - I just can't get used to saying 'neat' for some reason, mental block I guess.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Enthusiast
    Prior to discovering the Riedel bourbon glass (on this list), I always drank bourbon on the rocks. Since that time, I've discovered the subtleties that good quality bourbon can offer when tasted neat. The nose plays a very important role for me now. Plus when tasted on the rocks, the drink changes identity as the ice melts. So for now, I'll stick with drinking it straight, which lets me enjoy and appreciate the differences between various brands.

In social settings, and not paying as much attention to the bourbon itself, I tend to drink it on the rocks.

Kevin

Connoisseur
    Not that I'm gonna put an age thing on this...but I'm gonna put an age this on this.

I know up until the time I was pre-35ish, I had no problem with shots/drinking things strait.

How ever entering my pre-codger years (as pointed out on another thread) I've developed a definite sipping and or iced down drinking modem. Now I'm gonna tell ya, my first try of anything is going to be a small sip room temp, straight, but there after I'm going to adjust. And you can definitely bet I'm going to have a Glass of ice water near by to sip on and most likely whatever I'm drinking will have a cube or two in it.

Is it an age/metabolism thing?

I know my attitude about things has mellowed, perhaps my drinking habits have wimped out as well...lol...
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Connoisseur
    I did not develop a taste for Bourbon until my early 40's. I enjoy almost all neat, just sipping. I am a pretty fast eater...drinker...I think if I mixed it I would still tend to down it too fast...just can't seem to help myself? But neat...I can slow down and make a glass last. I am not good at describing the flavors, but I very much enjoy trying to find them.
    As I have described in some other threads, it seems life is pretty hectic, I have found that a nice pour of Bourbon, and my BBQ hobby are the only times I really get to slow down and relax...cooking over coals...drinking neat...2 things I just can't hurry through.
    Todd

Connoisseur

Thumbs up

I agree. Unless you leave the bottle on the counter or even worse - on the floor, it eliminates 1/2 of the evidence that can be used against you by the spouse in the future.
    "All I can say is that I have taken more out of alcohol than it has taken out of me".....Winston Churchill

Connoisseur

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life
    I'll drink to that!!!! EW black straight out of the bottle, yahoo!

I will hardly ever put ice in anything, but will farily often add a few drops, maybe about a teaspoon of cold water (to the bourbon in the glass). I just don't enjoy much on ice. I do have a tendancy of confusing waitresses and barkeeps though when I say no pollution or unpolluted - I just can't get used to saying 'neat' for some reason, mental block I guess.
    My own preference is too enjoy my bourbons at a temperature of very cool to slightly cold - especially if enjoyed neat. I like to keep my regular pours in a cool room that stays around 55-65 degrees. If it gets too hot outside, I'll move them to the fridge in the worst part of summer.

Now, the second personal policy I adhere to is if under 100 proof, I go with a splash of cold water or neat. My experience is that even a single rock just downs the taste/proof too much for my tastes. If 100 proof or higher, I'll use 2-3 of rocks with a generous pour. A less generous pour requires only 1-2 ice cubes.

Well, just my 2 cents worth and personal policies of bourbon.
    "All I can say is that I have taken more out of alcohol than it has taken out of me".....Winston Churchill