Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Advanced Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by scopenut
    In social settings, and not paying as much attention to the bourbon itself, I tend to drink it on the rocks.

Kevin
    Me too. That is about the only time I drink it on the rocks anymore. And it is usually WT101.

Advanced Taster
    I tend to drink bourbon neat, but I love TN whiskies on the rocks.

I generally add a few drops of water to bourbon that's over 90 proof, just to open it up a little (after tasting it neat, of course). The bottle of EC12 in my cabinet right now doesn't require this, though, and I generally drink Baker's neat, when I can afford to have Baker's in the house. On occasion, especially with a rye-heavy bourbon like OGD 114, I'll drop one ice cube in, which has the same effect as cutting with some water, but also cools it off some, too.
    -Sam

Enthusiast
    I like bourbon neat, and I always try a bourbon neat at first, in order to get the taste exactly and to be able to compare it with others. However, in the hot summer days, I can also prefer on the rocks-even topping with tonic or coke. I can enjoy bourbon anyway...

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery
    I almost always drink whiskey neat, but maybe that's because I'm so damn lazy. Bottle, glass, done.

Hey, it just dawned on me. Who needs a glass?
    That is comic genius right there! Big belly laugh reaading that post, thanks Chuck!
    Philip

I guess good whiskey really does tickle my pickle!

Advanced Taster
    Personally, I have not ever drank any Bourbon with ice. It is a SIN in my opinion! LOL

A little water with a some of the younger bourbons is ok sometimes, but to experience any bourbon, neat is best. Why dilute something so good.

It is like comparing this: Pouring water into a fine wine.

My opinion though.
    "A glass a day keeps the doctor away"
    Sincerely,
    George

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    I believe it was Pappy Van Winkle who said that if you must drink your bourbon with water, then pour the water into the glass first, followed by the bourbon. That way, you will have made a poor thing better rather than a fine thing worse.

Taster
    Other than adding a few drops to open up a bourbon, or cutting one down to 100-110 proof, like Stagg, I always drink it neat. Because I don't think this is the best for the belly, I tend to drink a good amount room temperture water while enjoying a few pours.

Guru
    Adding a spalsh of spring water can dramatically improve (or at least change) the taste of many bourbons. I've found if I try a "new" one and am not very enamored, resampling with a little water can sometimes change my opinion.

The uber-high proof bourbons like the Staggs are (IMHO) much improved with a LITTLE dilution. It brings out the fullness and the wonderful compexity of flavors.

The key is too experiment a little, even with pours that you are familiar with and have had many times.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Enthusiast
    I can't bring myself to add ice to whisky. Water - yes, ice - no! Won't hold this against anyone who chooses to drink their whisky as they chose!