Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gin

Taster
    Tim, I've got a bottle of Tanqueray Ten that is 94 proof (as is regular Tanqueray London Dry, Beefeater, Brokers here in Oregon). The Plymouth I've had is 82 proof, but I've read that they offer a 114 proof version.

Try as I might, I cannot learn to like gin. I keep one bottle of good stuff for cuts and abrasions and guests.

Jeff

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillman
    Thanks, can you indicate the abv of those? Unlike bourbons and some vodkas it seems most gins are 40% abv which can't however be (completely) historical. Some of the lore of the dry martini must come from the gins in its heyday being 100 proof or at least 90.
    Junipero is 98.6 proof - a little numerology fun on the part of the marketeers, I guess (for you Celcius-types, body temperature, 37 C, is 98.6 Fahrenheit).

Tanqueray No. Ten is 94.6 proof.

This certainly contributes to the quality of martinis made with them. They can be shaken (or stirred) enough to thoroughly chill them without over-diluting them. It also helps them to hold up to a bit more vermouth.

BTW, I don't like a "dirty" martini - one made with a splash of olive juice. When I think of all the trouble the distiller goes to to choose more than a dozen botanicals, then infuses them into the GNS and distills it again (or places them in a basket in the neck of a pot still for the distillation) to get a carefully crafted balance of flavors, I couldn't bring myself to muddy that up with olive brine. Seems like a travesty.

Jeff
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    The race to 80 proof (40% abv) in the U.S. has been a function of consumer preference and taxation.

Altough one always wonders why people can't figure out how to add their own water, the fact is that most people prefer the lower proofs.

Taxation is a factor because the federal excise tax (as well as some local taxes) is based on alcohol content. When Jack Daniel's cut its proof from 86 to 80 a few years ago, it saved $10 million a year in taxes.

It stops at 80 because anything below 80 (with a couple of exceptions) has to be labelled "diluted." One-hundred was the most common proof for spirits, both white and brown, until the 1950s. Then the two factors mentioned above started to push it downwards.

A proof cut is like an invisible price increase.

Many brands initially offered both a higher and lower proof product and a few still do although, especially with white spirits, you almost never see anything except 80 proof.

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer
    Gary, I remember when the better gins (Beefeaters, Bombay, Tanqueray, etc) were all over 90 proof. I think 94 was common. So, that has changed? I hadn't noticed, but I have a few bottles of various brands on hand and I will check.

Tim
    Okay, here is what I found around the house:

Bombay - 86 proof
    Bombay Sapphire - 94 proof
    Broker's - 94 proof
    Seagram's - 80 proof

There is a bottle of Tanqueray somewhere in the freezer, but I can't find it. It is one of those old, large chest-type freezers.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer
    There is a bottle of Tanqueray somewhere in the freezer, but I can't find it. It is one of those old, large chest-type freezers.

Tim
    maybe Jimmy Hoffa is in there as well!

Guru
    Naw, Jimmy didn't drink gin, he's more likely in my freezer with the EC 18.

For a token on-topic note, I don't drink gin myself but keep Bombay Sapphire on the bar and have an old 375/Pint of Boodles that someone gave me. Is Boodles any good?
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Connoisseur
    Wow,

I was going to comment that I currently drink Bombay Sapphire, but had really not noticed any difference between it and regular Bombay. I had no idea there was a proof difference!

I've tried Hendrick's but much prefer the Bombay. I am going to see if I can't track down a bottle of ... crap ...I can't remember the name now that I'm typing the post! What ever that was ...oh yeah...Plymouth!

I'm a big gin and tonic fan in the summer. Good summer time cooler downer.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    I've been impressed by the abv reports of many well-known and other brands of gin. I will check again at our outlets and try to make specific comparisons.

Gary

Enthusiast
    I've been impressed by the abv reports of many well-known and other brands of gin.
    The Michigan state list of gins available here lists proofs (pull down "gin" in the "liquor type" menu). It's an easy place to compare at least those.

It's also a handy place to check availability and minimum price of all spirits in this controlled state.
    I will check again at our outlets and try to make specific comparisons.
    I was just checking the LCBO web site and see that some of our higher proof gins are 80 proof in Ontario, but not all. Some that stood out:

Beefeater (94 vs. 80)
    Bombay Sapphire (94 vs. 80)
    Broker's (94 vs. 80)
    Citadelle (88 both)
    Hendrick's (88 both)
    Magellan (88 both)
    Tanqueray (94.6 vs. 80) but not Tanqueray No. Ten (94.6 both places)

Most of the rest seemed to be 80 proof in both places, and each had some higher proofs that weren't carried in the other.

Doesn't look like I'll be going to Ontario for gin.

Jeff
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Thanks Jeff, this is illuminating. Some major brands are clearly only at 80 proof here. However I see some are higher than I thought. Overall though, it seems we don't get as many at the higher proofs as elsewhere.

Gary