Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Gin

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Glad you liked it! The bitter lemon is quite rich-tasting and needs the ice to match it and the gin. I guess the bitter lemon is a kind of concentrated lemonade (spiked with a little quinine if it is still used in these tonics). The bitter lemon might suit a mild whiskey such as 7 Crown or even some bourbon but I think it would go better in a mixture which includes Grenadine (or say Pama, now in our market), soda water or orange juice, something like that, a good shaken drink served up.

Gary

Guru
    I like Gin and Bitter Lemon because, unlike a G&T where lime is needed, this drink does not. The simpler the better. Limes in the Northeast are expensive and do not last very long in the refrigerator.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Guru

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe
    I like Gin and Bitter Lemon because, unlike a G&T where lime is needed, this drink does not. The simpler the better. Limes in the Northeast are expensive and do not last very long in the refrigerator.
    Joe
    Well, I just had the opposite. I took that old bottle of Bombay from the freezer and poured all of it (probably an ounce or less) into a glass, intending to make a gin and tonic. At the last second, I decided not to open the tonic water and just squeezed in a small slice of lime. It was very tasty. I suppose it was a martini of sorts - mostly very cold gin with a small additional flavoring.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer
    I took that old bottle of Bombay from the freezer and poured all of it (probably an ounce or less) into a glass ... and just squeezed in a small slice of lime. It was very tasty. I suppose it was a martini of sorts - mostly very cold gin with a small additional flavoring.
    That sounds more or less like a gimlet, although they are often made with Rose's lime juice rather than fresh lime juice, which I prefer.

Jeff
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Guru
    Thanks for reminding me, Jeff. I drank quite a few Rose's gimlets when I was in college (a long, long time ago) and I enjoyed them at the time. But, believe me, the drink I had this afternoon was nothing like that. The Rose's was very sweet and intensely flavored, while the very small squeeze of fresh lime today was very subdued. The result really was very like a martini.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Apprentice

My favorite gins

I have different favorites depending on the drink. If I am making martinis (4 to 5 parts gin, 1 part dry vermouth, dash of Regans Orange Bitters), I want Plymouth, Bombay Saphire, or Tanquerey Ten, in that order. If I am drinking gin and tonics, I want Tanquerey or Bombay or Beefeaters. Also, and this may surprise you, cheap old Burnetts works great in a gin and tonic. Don't be tempted to try it in a martini though.

Charles Perry

Connoisseur

Junipero

Just tried the Junipero.... Very tasty. Tried it with Bitter lemon and Tonic. Both were very good. I'm not sure it makes a MUCH better drink than T-10 but it is good enough I would switch to it if it were available local..... Pity it isn't..... Probably won't switch but glad to have tried it. There's a bottle of Hendricks (which IS available locally) waiting for the same trial. Results to follow.

Ken
    "Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary. "