Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Rye Recommendations?

I really love drinking Rye. Currently I own a bottle of Sazerac 18 and a very low bottle of Van Winkle 13. I love both bottlings and am very happy with them, but at their, well for me at least, high prices, I dont like to use them as a daily pour. Does anyone have any recommendations that are slightly less expensive? Or for that matter any recommendations of other premium ryes which are good to have around the house?

Thanks everybody!

Tim

Connoisseur
    I enjoy WT Rye, and if you can find it Rittenhouse Rye 100 is excellent (I have not tried the 80 proof yet), and for that matter I enjoy Old Overholt. My favorite daily poor, which has a lot of rye in it, is Old Grand Dad 114, not a rye but it sure is prominent, and a good price for me.
    Todd

Enthusiast
    I second the recommendations of Old Overholt and Rittenhouse BIB. Both are (IMO) among the great whiskies, period; unfortunately people don't take them as seriously as they merit because they're so cheap!

Enthusiast
    With the exception of never tasting Rittenhouse (although I hope to find it one day), I'd repeat T47's post right down the line. The currently available Michter's 4 year old is pretty good as well.

Although I understand Bulleitt to be even higher rye than OGD, and I enjoy it sometimes, I'd say the OGD is closer to the ryes I enjoy.

Really, there are so few ryes produced, much less available to me, I'd say just try everything you can get your hands on.

Bob

Connoisseur
    My vote goes to Wild Turkey Rye. Very tasty.

Ken
    "Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary. "

Taster
    WT Rye would be my choice also.........very tasty indeed!!

Virtuoso
    I haven't tried Old Overholt, nor JB rye. However, Rittenhouse BIB, WT rye, and the 6(7)yo Sazerac are all very fine choices.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Connoisseur
    Guys I really appreciate all suggestions, but please keep them coming because most of the suggestions aren't available in my areaa, unfornately Indianapolis doesnt have a huge spirits selection.

But thanks again for anyone who gives any suggestion.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyBoston
    Guys I really appreciate all suggestions, but please keep them coming because most of the suggestions aren't available in my areaa, unfornately Indianapolis doesnt have a huge spirits selection.

But thanks again for anyone who gives any suggestion.
    Unfortunately, just about every commercially available straight rye has been listed here. The only ones that haven't are well-aged expensive premium ryes, and regional ryes that are only available in certain areas, i.e., Fleishmann's and Pikesville. WT, Beam, Old Overholt, Rittenhouse, Michter's and Saz Jr. are about it when it comes to (relatively) lower-priced ryes.

I suppose there's always Canadian whiskies, but I don't know much about them and couldn't say which might be analogous to an American straight rye.

Guru

Easy For Me to Say, But . . .

Mapquest says it's a six-hour drive to Chicago and back. Add another hour for in-town driving and another hour each shopping at Sam's and Binny's . . .

Sounds like a fine way to spend a free Saturday, and you'll return home with a rye/bourbon collection that will place you above the median among StraightBourbonians.

Yours truly,
    Dave "Wish I Could Join You" Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,