Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Guru

Most Irritating Packaging!

Tonight I struggled with a new bottle of Basil Hayden (one of my favorite summer pours). Since I last purchased some, it now seems to be packaged with some sort of alien, unpenetrabled foil wrapping. Repeated jabs, swipes, samurai lunges with a paring knife were necessary to gain entrance. Do the distillers not want me to actually consume their product?

My other ongoing irritant is ETL SB. A wonderful bourbon and an incredible value. It is one of my all time favorites and usually number one or two in my recommendations to others but....when I pull the tab on the wax covering it invariably comes off in my hand... leaving the nectar beyond reach. Why oh why is BT doing this to me? Do they not test their packaging in the real world?

Seriously, other than the odd broken cork (which happens to everyone now and then), what is your major bourbon packaging 'pain in the ass'?
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Enthusiast
    I'm not sure this qualifies, but I noticed recently that my bottle of Eagle Rare SB 10 is over an inch taller than my other tall bottles, making it difficult to store it in an enclosed 2 shelf cabinet.

Not exactly hand-wringing, I know, but a pain nonetheless.

Kevin

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by scopenut
    I'm not sure this qualifies, but I noticed recently that my bottle of Eagle Rare SB 10 is over an inch taller than my other tall bottles, making it difficult to store it in an enclosed 2 shelf cabinet.

Not exactly hand-wringing, I know, but a pain nonetheless.

Kevin
    I've got to believe that retailers feel the same way about Old Forester BB --- beautiful bottle but it doesn't seems to fit anywhere...
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Taster
    That big honkin' Booker's crate obscures a nice presentation and is a pound of trash I wish I didn't have to pay Binny's to send to me.

The silver lining is Binny's picks some great barrels of Booker's.

Advanced Taster
    I think the Sazerac Jr. is an ugly bottle- the neck is just way too long. It doesn't help that my bottle tastes like spinach.
    -Sam

Apprentice
    I agree about the Eagle Rare. It is in one of those very tall, vodka like bottles, that does not fit in my liquor cabinet.

Connoisseur
    lol...I'm still laughing at the image of bottled spinach.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Apprentice
    So that is what Popeye was up to.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski
    My other ongoing irritant is ETL SB. A wonderful bourbon and an incredible value. It is one of my all time favorites and usually number one or two in my recommendations to others but....when I pull the tab on the wax covering it invariably comes off in my hand... leaving the nectar beyond reach. Why oh why is BT doing this to me? Do they not test their packaging in the real world?
    Yes and they listened. You will find that new ETL bottles (change was around ? 9 months ago) have ditched the gold wax and now just a foil wrap.

Disciple
    The ETL bottles with the foil are also a treat to open. I just use a knife to cut a slot between the cork top and bottle on most of the cork top brands. My all time biggest nightmare was with a 1.75L of Knob Creek. I had to use channellocks to get the wax off of the neck!

Thomas